The following lists events that happened during 1862 in New Zealand.
Regal and viceregalEdit
Government and lawEdit
The 3rd Parliament continues.
- Speaker of the House – David Monro
- Premier – Alfred Domett replaces William Fox on 6 August after Fox loses a vote of no-confidence.
- Minister of Finance – Reader Wood loses the post on 6 August with the fall of the Fox government, and is replaced by Dillon Bell, but is reappointed just 15 days later on 21 August.
- Chief Justice – Hon Sir George Arney (he is knighted during the year)
- 27 January – The Auckland Register, which started in 1857, ceases publication.
- 1 July – The first telegraph transmission in New Zealand is made from Lyttelton Post Office to Christchurch.
- 7 July – Parliament meets in Wellington for the first time. (see also 1863; 1865)
- 15 August – Horatio Hartley and Christopher Reilly arrive in Dunedin with 87 pounds of gold from the banks of the Clutha river in Cromwell George leading to the Dunstan Gold Rush.
- 12 November – The Invercargill Times publishes its first issue. It changed its name to The Southland Times two years later, and became a daily in 1875. It continues to publish today[update].
- Otago Gold Rush (1861–63)
Major race winnerEdit
- New Zealand Derby – Emmeline
The Auckland club is now playing on its own green.
Ballinger Belt – Private Holt (Nelson)
- Romanos, J. (2001) New Zealand Sporting Records and Lists. Auckland: Hodder Moa Beckett. ISBN 1-86958-879-7
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources – 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical Publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 11. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 November 2007.
- New Zealand Historic Places Trust: Port to Plains Heritage Trail
- Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand 1966: Telecommunications
- "NZPost: Telegraph Centenary". Archived from the original on 22 May 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2008.
- Walrond, Carl. "First gold discovery at Dunstan". Crown Copyright. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Southland Times". National Library of New Zealand.
- "Nelson Evening Mail". National Library of New Zealand.
- Todd, S. (1976) Sporting Records of New Zealand. Auckland: Moa Publications. ISBN 0-908570-00-7
Media related to 1862 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons