- The Rev. John Wilson publishes "Antiquities found at Woodperry, Oxon", an early account of excavations at a medieval village site (in Oxfordshire, England).
- Jacques Boucher de Crèvecœur de Perthes first publishes his discoveries over the previous two decades of a worked flint implement in the context of elephant and rhinoceros remains in the gravels of the Somme valley
- John Disney publishes first edition of Museum Disneianum
- Journal of the British Archaeological Association first published
- Archaeological Journal 3 (1846): 117-28.
- "Our History - Smithsonian Institution". www.si.edu. Retrieved 17 May 2017.