1818 in science
- July 29 – French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel submits his prizewinning "Memoir on the Diffraction of Light" to the French Academy of Sciences, precisely accounting for the limited extent to which light spreads into shadows, and thereby demolishing the oldest objection to the wave theory of light.
- April 8 – August Wilhelm von Hofmann (died 1892), German chemist.
- May 1 – Lyon Playfair (died 1898), Scottish chemist.
- June 29 – Angelo Secchi (died 1878), Italian astronomer.
- August 1 – Maria Mitchell (died 1889), American astronomer.
- September 27 – Hermann Kolbe (died 1884), German chemist.
- December 24 – James Prescott Joule (died 1889), English physicist.
- Thénard, L. J. (1818). "Observations sur des nouvelles combinaisons entre l'oxigène et divers acides". Annales de chimie et de physique. 2nd Series. 8: 306–312.
- Penguin Pocket On This Day. Penguin Reference Library. 2006. ISBN 0-14-102715-0.
- Burton, Jim (2004). "Howard, Luke (1772–1864)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/13928. Retrieved 2011-09-30. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Baren, Maurice (1997). How Household Names Began. London: Michael O'Mara Books. pp. 43–5. ISBN 1-85479-257-1.