Events from the year 1818 in France.
|See also:||Other events of 1818|
History of France • Timeline • Years
- 11 February - Marie André Cantillon attempts to assassinate the Duke of Wellington in Paris.
- 29 July - Physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel submits his prizewinning "Memoir on the Diffraction of Light" to the French Academy of Sciences, precisely accounting for the limited extent to which light spreads into shadows, and thereby demolishing the oldest objection to the wave theory of light.
- 1 October - Congress of Aix-la-Chapelle is convened.
- 5 October - Claudine Thévenet (known as Mary of St. Ignatius) founds the Roman Catholic order Religieuses de Jésus-Marie ("Religious of Jesus And Mary") in Lyon.
January to JuneEdit
- 26 January - Amédée de Noé, caricaturist and lithographer (died 1879).
- 7 February - François Paul Meurice, dramatist (died 1905).
- 18 May - Eugène Bouchut, physician (died 1891).
- 3 June - Louis Faidherbe, general and colonial administrator (died 1889).
- 4 June - Élie-Abel Carrière, botanist (died 1896).
- 13 June - Jean-Jules Allasseur, sculptor (died 1903).
- 18 June - Charles Gounod, composer (died 1893).
July to DecemberEdit
- 8 August - Joseph Roumanille, poet (died 1891).
- 12 August - Edmond-Frederic Le Blant, archaeologist and historian (died 1897).
- 14 August - François d'Orléans, prince de Joinville, admiral (died 1900).
- 18 August - Henri Le Secq, painter and photographer (died 1882).
- 13 September - Gustave Aimard, traveller and writer (died 1883).
- 26 October - Louis Buffet, statesman (died 1898).
Full date unknownEdit
- 30 January - Claude Matthieu, Count Gardane, general and diplomat (born 1766).
- 23 April - Jean-Armand de Bessuéjouls Roquelaure, Archbishop of Mechelen, Belgium (born 1721).
- 1 May - François-Joseph Bélanger, architect and decorator (born 1744).
- 28 July - Gaspard Monge, mathematician (born 1746).
- 19 October
- 28 October - Henri Jacques Guillaume Clarke, politician and Marshal of France (born 1765).
- 25 December - Catherine-Dominique de Pérignon, Marshal of France (born 1754).
- Full date unknown - Adrien-Nicolas Piédefer, marquis de La Salle, writer and cavalry officer (born 1735).