17th Special Tactics Squadron
The 17th Special Tactics Squadron is one of the ten Special Tactics Squadrons of United States Air Force Special Operations Command. It is garrisoned at Fort Benning, Georgia.
|17th Special Tactics Squadron|
Redesignation ceremony of the 17th ASOS as the 17th STS on 8 August 2013 at Fort Benning
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Force Special Operations Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Benning, Georgia|
|Motto(s)||Ex Id Aer Pro Id Terra Latin Of the Air For the Ground|
|Decorations||Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Combat "V" Device|
Gallant Unit Citation
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding unit Award
|17th Special Tactics Squadron emblem (approved 6 June 1996)|
The 17th STS is the only Special Tactics Squadron that is composed solely of Tactical Air Control Party operators and Air Liaison Officers. The other Special Tactics Squadrons are composed of Special Tactics Officers, Combat Controllers, Combat Rescue Officers, Pararescuemen and Special Operations Weather Technicians. The squadron's primary mission is to provide special tactics TACPs to the Army's 75th Ranger Regiment for unconventional operations.
The 17th STS is made up of a headquarters unit and two operational detachments. The headquarters unit is stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia. Detachment 1 (Red Team) is stationed at Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia and is attached to 1st Ranger Battalion. Detachment 2 (Silver Team) is stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington and is attached to the 2nd Ranger Battalion. Each detachment consists of 13 TACPS and one ALO.
- Constituted as the 17th Air Support Operations Squadron on 24 June 1994
- Activated on 1 July 1994
- Redesignated 17th Special Tactics Squadron on 8 August 2013
- 18th Air Support Operations Group 1 July 1994
- 720th Special Tactics Group 1 October 2008 – present
- Bailey, Carl E. (24 April 2018). "Factsheet 17 Special Tactics Squadron (AFSOC)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- Savage, Craig (28 August 2013). "24th SOW re-designates 17th ASOS". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "24th Special Operations Wing". 24th Special Operations Wing Public Affairs Office. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Further reading