1748 English cricket season
The 1748 English cricket season was the fifth season following the earliest known codification of the Laws of Cricket. Details have survived of six significant eleven-a-side and 18 single wicket matches. 1748 was the halcyon season of single wicket, perhaps never so popular before or since.
- 10 June - Kent v England XI - Dartford Brent
- 13 June - England XI v Kent - Artillery Ground
- 14 June - Lambeth v London - Peckham Rye Common
- 18 July - London v Croydon - Artillery Ground
- 15 August - London v Deptford & Greenwich - Artillery Ground
- 23 August - Deptford & Greenwich v London - Upper Fountain, Deptford
Single wicket matchesEdit
Clubs and teamsEdit
- The Rest – earliest known use of this name by a team in a single wicket match on 6 June. The team was made up of Stephen Dingate, Little Bennett, Maynard, Collins and Thomas Waymark. The other team involved in the match was Addington.
- John Colchin (Bromley)
- ACS, p.22.
- Other matches in England 1748, CricketArchive. Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- Ashley-Cooper, p.53.
- Buckley, p.22.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Ashley-Cooper, F. S. (1900). At the Sign of the Wicket: Cricket 1742–1751. Cricket: A Weekly Record of the Game. London: Cricket Magazine. OCLC 28863559.
- Buckley, G. B. (1935). Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket. Cotterell.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Maun, Ian (2009). From Commons to Lord's, Volume One: 1700 to 1750. Roger Heavens. ISBN 978 1 900592 52 9.
- Underdown, David (2000). Start of Play. Allen Lane.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1899). Cricket Scores, Notes, etc. (1730–1773). Blackwood.