This article needs additional citations for verification
. (July 2013)
This article presents lists of the literary events and publications in 1735.
- August 4 – John Peter Zenger is found by a jury not guilty of seditious libel in The New York Weekly Journal.
- September 3 – Samuel Johnson marries Elizabeth "Tetty" Porter, twenty years his senior, at St Werburgh's Church, Derby.
- Jesuit scholar Jean-Baptiste Du Halde publishes Description Géographique, Historique, Chronologique, Politique et Physique de l'Empire de la Chine et de la Tartarie Chinois in Paris, including Father Joseph Henri Marie de Prémare's translation of The Orphan of Zhao ("L'Orphelin de la Maison de Tchao"; 13th century), the first Chinese play to have been published in any European language.
- The Sublime Society of Beef Steaks is established by John Rich at the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden, London, as a dining club mainly for literary men.
- Anonymous (attributed to Eliza Haywood – The Dramatic Historiographer
- John Atkins – A Voyage to Guinea, Brazil, and the West Indies
- George Berkeley – The Querist
- Jane Brereton – Merlin
- Henry Brooke – Universal Beauty
- Robert Dodsley – Beauty
- Jean-Baptiste Du Halde – Geographical, Historical, Chronological, Political, and Physical Description of the Empire of China and Chinese Tartary
- Benjamin Hoadly – A Plain Account of the Nature and End of the Sacrament of the Lord's-Supper
- Hildebrand Jacob – Works
- Samuel Johnson – A Voyage to Abyssinia
- Carl Linnaeus – Systema Naturae
- George Lyttelton, 1st Baron Lyttelton – Letters from a Persian in England
- Benoît de Maillet – Description de l'Egypte
- William Melmoth – Of Active and Retired Life
- John Oldmixon – The History of England, during the Reigns of William and Mary, Anne, George I
- Alexander Pope
- An Epistle from Mr. Pope to Dr. Arbuthnot (just after Arbuthnot's death)
- Of the Characters of Women (Moral Epistle II)
- The Works of Mr. Alexander Pope
- Letters of Mr. Pope, and Several Eminent Persons (a piracy by Edmund Curll, with forgeries included)
- Mr. Pope's Literary Correspondence for Thirty Years, 1704 to 1734 (authorized)
- Antoine François Prévost – Le Doyen de Killerine
- Samuel Richardson – A Seasonable Examination of the Pleas and Pretensions of the Proprietors of, and Subscribers to, Play-Houses
- Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke – A Dissertation upon Parties
- William Somervile – The Chace
- Jonathan Swift, Pope, Arbuthnot, et al.
- Miscellanies in Prose and Verse: Volume the Fifth
- Claudine Guérin de Tencin – Mémoires du comte de Comminge (Memoirs of the Count of Comminge)
- Diego de Torres Villarroel – Conquista del reino de Nápoles por su rey don Carlos de Borbón
- ^ Liu, Wu-Chi (1953). "The Original Orphan of China". Comparative Literature. 5 (3). JSTOR 1768912.