|Cardinal||one hundred sixty-eight|
(one hundred sixty-eighth)
|Factorization||23 × 3 × 7|
|Divisors||1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 14, 21, 24, 28, 42, 56, 84, 168|
In mathematics edit
From Hurwitz's automorphisms theorem, 168 is the maximum possible number of automorphisms of a genus 3 Riemann surface, this maximum being achieved by the Klein quartic, whose symmetry group is PSL(2,7). The Fano plane has 168 symmetries.
168 is the largest known n such that 2n does not contain all decimal digits.
168 is the fourth Dedekind number.
In astronomy edit
In the military edit
- Japanese submarine I-168 was an Imperial Japanese Navy Kaidai-class submarine during World War II
- USNS Catawba (T-ATF-168) is a United States Navy fleet tugboat
- USS Amick (DE-168) was a United States Navy Cannon-class destroyer escort during World War II
- USS Charlevoix (AK-168) was a United States Navy Alamosa-class cargo ship during World War II
- USS Gage (APA-168) was a United States Navy Haskell-class attack transport during World War II
- USS Maddox (DD-168) was a United States Navy Wickes-class destroyer during World War I
- USS Nautilus (SS-168) was a United States Navy Narwhal-class submarine during World War II
- USS Southland (IX-168) was a United States Navy steamer during World War II
- USS War Hawk (AP-168) was a La Salle-class transport during World War II
In movies edit
In transportation edit
- New York City Subway stations
- 168th Street (New York City Subway); a subway station complex at 168th Street and Broadway consisting of:
- 168th Street (BMT Jamaica Line); was the former terminal of the BMT Jamaica Line in Queens
- British Rail Class 168
- VASP Flight 168 from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Fortaleza; crashed on June 8, 1982
In other fields edit
168 is also:
- The year AD 168 or 168 BC
- 168 AH is a year in the Islamic calendar that corresponds to 784 – 785 CE
- The number of hours in a week, or 7 x 24 hours
- In the game of dominoes, tiles are marked with a number of spots, or pips. The Double 6 set (28 tiles) totals 168 pips
- Tracy 168, a New York City graffiti artist
- Minuscule 168 is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament
- Some Chinese consider 168 a lucky number, because it is roughly homophonous with the phrase "一路發", which means "fortune all the way", or, as the United States Mint claims- "Prosperity Forever"
- 168 is the name of the most commonly used laboratory strain of Bacillus subtilis, a bacterium
See also edit
- "Sloane's A000926 : Euler's "numerus idoneus" (or "numeri idonei", or idoneal, or suitable, or convenient numbers)". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "week214". math.ucr.edu. Retrieved 9 April 2023.
- "Sloane's A130696: Numbers k such that 2^k does not contain all ten decimal digits". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2022-12-19.
- "$1 Prosperity Forever 168 Note - US Mint". Retrieved 9 April 2023.