Events from the year 1609 in Quebec.
|Years in Quebec:||1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612|
|Centuries:||16th century · 17th century · 18th century|
|Decades:||1570s 1580s 1590s 1600s 1610s 1620s 1630s|
|Years:||1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612|
- The first group of French settlers in New France experience a harsh first winter. Scurvy, smallpox and the cold temperature result in the death of twenty people out of the 28 colonists.
- In the summer, Samuel de Champlain established alliances between the French colonists and the neighbouring First Nations. The French ally with the Wendat (whom they call Huron) and the Algonquin living along the St. Lawrence River against the Iroquois.
- The first battle between the French and the Iroquois takes place at Ticonderoga, in present-day New York. The Iroquois flee when encountering French gunpowder weapons.
- Together with nine French soldiers and 300 natives, Samuel de Champlain explores and maps the Richelieu River and Lake Champlain
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2010)
71 per cent of the French population in New France dies during the winter.
- Francis, R. Douglas & Jones, Richard & Smith, Donald B.; Origins: Canadian History to Confederation (5th Ed.) pp.47; Scarborough: Nelson, 2004.