Events from the year 1597 in Ireland.
|See also:||Other events of 1597 |
List of years in Ireland
- March 11 – Dublin Gunpowder Disaster: Huge explosion on the Dublin quays as barrels of gunpowder are unloaded; 126 killed, many more injured, and as many as forty houses demolished.
- November – Battle of Carrickfergus: The clan MacDonnell of Antrim led by Sorley Boy MacDonnell defeat the English.
- July 29 – Murrough O'Brien, 4th Baron Inchiquin, soldier (b. 1562)
- August 3 – Richard Meredith, Church of Ireland Bishop of Leighlin
- October 14 – Thomas Burgh, 3rd Baron Burgh, Lord Deputy of Ireland since 18 April (b. c.1558)
- Henry FitzGerald, 12th Earl of Kildare, soldier (b. 1562) (died of wounds)
- Fiach McHugh O'Byrne, clan chief (b. 1534)
- Reilly, Gavan. "416 years ago today: Explosion kills 1pc of Dublin's population". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- Fissel, Mark Charles (2001). English Warfare, 1511-1642. Psychology Press. p. 218. ISBN 9780415214827.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003), Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, vol. 2 (107th ed.), Wilmington, Delaware: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, p. 2035, ISBN 978-0-9711966-2-9
- Ryan, John (1833). The History and Antiquities of the County of Carlow. R. M. Times. p. 379.
- Nichols, John (2014). John Nichols's The Progresses and Public Processions of Queen Elizabeth: Volume V: Appendices, Bibliographies, and Index. OUP Oxford. p. 384. ISBN 9780199551422.
- Bourke, Angela (2002). The Field Day Anthology of Irish Writing. NYU Press. p. 451. ISBN 9780814799062.
- Domhnaill, Rónán Gearóid Ó (2013). Fadó: Tales of Lesser Known Irish History. Troubador Publishing Ltd. p. 55. ISBN 9781783061976.