1577 in literature
This article contains information about the literary events and publications of 1577.
- Certain Selected Histories for Christian Recreations (translation of Gesta Romanorum)
- Richard Eden – The History of Travayle in the West and East Indies
- John Frampton – Ioyfull newes out of the newe founde worlde, wherein is declared the rare and singular vertues of diuerse and sundrie hearbes, trees, oyles, plantes, and stones, with their applications, as well for phisicke as chirurgerie, translated from the 1565 Spanish edition of Nicolás Monardes' Historia medicinal de las cosas que se traen de nuestras Indias Occidentales
- Thomas Hill – The Gardener's Labyrinth
- Raphael Holinshed – The Chronicles of England, Scotland and Irelande
- Marcin Kromer – Polonia sive de situ, populis, moribus, magistratibus et Republica regni Polonici libri duo
- Teresa of Ávila – Camino de Perfección
- Johann Weyer – De praestigiis daemonum
- See 1577 in poetry
- February 8 – Robert Burton, English scholar and author (died 1640)
- March/April – Gerhard Johann Vossius, Dutch theologian (died 1649)
- November 10 – Jacob Cats, Dutch poet (died 1660)
- November 20 (baptized) – Samuel Purchas, English travel writer (died 1626)
- unknown dates
- March 6 – Remy Belleau, French poet (born 1528)
- April 21 – Girolamo Parabosco, Italian poet and musician (born c. 1524)
- May 5 – Viglius, Frisian statesman and writer (born 1507)
- October 7 – George Gascoigne, English poet (born c. 1535)
- Unknown dates
- Dom Philippe Chevalier. "Le Cantique spirituel de saint Jean de la Croix a-t-il été interpolé?". Bulletin Hispanique (October–December 1922) pp. 307–342 (French).
- Kewes, Paulina; Archer, Ian W.; Felicity Heal, eds. (2013). The Oxford Handbook of Holinshed's Chronicles. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-956575-7.
- Marshall Grossman (11 January 2011). The Seventeenth - Century Literature Handbook. John Wiley & Sons. p. 160. ISBN 978-1-4443-9011-7.
- Christopher Baker (2002). Absolutism and the Scientific Revolution, 1600-1720: A Biographical Dictionary. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 393. ISBN 978-0-313-30827-7.