|Ab urbe condita||2227|
|Balinese saka calendar||1395–1396|
|English Regnal year||13 Edw. 4 – 14 Edw. 4|
|Chinese calendar||癸巳年 (Water Snake)|
4170 or 4110
— to —
甲午年 (Wood Horse)
4171 or 4111
|- Vikram Samvat||1530–1531|
|- Shaka Samvat||1395–1396|
|- Kali Yuga||4574–4575|
|Japanese calendar||Bunmei 6|
|Minguo calendar||438 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||2016–2017|
1600 or 1219 or 447
— to —
1601 or 1220 or 448
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1474.|
- February – The Treaty of Utrecht puts an end to the Anglo-Hanseatic War.
- March 19 – The Senate of the Republic of Venice enacts the Venetian Patent Statute, one of the earliest patent systems in the world. New and inventive devices, once put into practice, have to be communicated to the Republic to obtain the right to prevent others from using them. This is considered the first modern patent system.
- July 25 – By signing the Treaty of London, Charles the Bold of Burgundy agrees to support Edward IV of England's planned invasion of France.
- December 12 – Upon the death of Henry IV of Castile, a civil war ensues between his designated successor Isabella I of Castile, and her niece Juana, who is supported by her husband, Afonso V of Portugal. Isabella wins the civil war after a lengthy struggle, when her husband, the newly crowned Ferdinand II of Aragon, comes to her aid.
- Marsilio Ficino completes his book Theologia Platonica (Platonic Theology).
- Axayacatl defeats the Matlatzinca of the Toluca Valley.
- Mehmed the Conqueror plans to invade Moldavia by winter to next year. He will take great defeat in 1475, fighting Stephen the Great of Moldavia.
- January 7 – Thihathura II of Ava (d. 1501)
- March 1 – Angela Merici, Italian religious leader and saint (d. 1540)
- May 18 – Isabella d'Este, Marquise of Mantua (d. 1539)
- September 8 – Ludovico Ariosto, Italian poet (d. 1533)
- October 7 – Bernhard III, Margrave of Baden-Baden (d. 1536)
- October 13 – Mariotto Albertinelli, High Renaissance Italian painter of the Florentine school (d. 1515)
- December 24 – Bartolomeo degli Organi, Italian musician (d. 1539)
- date unknown
- April 30 – Queen Gonghye, Korean royal consort (b. 1456)
- May 4 – Alain de Coëtivy, Catholic cardinal (b. 1407)
- May 11 – John Stanberry, Bishop of Hereford
- August 26 – James III of Cyprus (b. 1473)
- November – William Canynge, English merchant (b. c. 1399)
- November 27 – Guillaume Dufay, Flemish composer (b. 1397)
- December 11 – King Henry IV of Castile (b. 1425)
- date unknown
- Ladas, Stephen Pericles (1975). Patents, Trademarks, and Related Rights: National and International Protection, Volume 1. Harvard University Press. pp. 6–7. ISBN 9780674657755.
- Schippel, Helmut (2001). "Die Anfänge des Erfinderschutzes in Venedig". In Lindgren, Uta (Hrsg.) (ed.). Europäische Technik im Mittelalter, 800 bis 1400: Tradition und Innovation (4. ed.). Berlin: Wolfgang Pfaller. pp. 539–550. ISBN 3-7861-1748-9.
- Lander, J. R. (1981). Government and Community: England, 1450-1509. Harvard University Press. p. 287. ISBN 9780674357945.