128th IOC Session
The 128th IOC Session took place from July 30 – August 3, 2015, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre. The host city for the 2022 Winter Olympics and the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics were elected during the 128th IOC Session on July 31, 2015.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Lima, Peru placed bids to host the 128th IOC Session. Kuala Lumpur bid to host the 125th IOC Session which took place in 2013, but they lost out to Buenos Aires. Lima's bid to host the IOC Session was ruled out by the evaluation report which resulted in Kuala Lumpur becoming the host city.
2022 Winter Olympics host city electionEdit
The host city of the 2022 Winter Olympics will be elected during the 128th IOC Session. Bids for the games were due to the IOC in 2013. In 2014, the IOC decided that Almaty and Beijing (as Oslo withdrew its bid), would become candidate cities, a year before the host city is elected.
|2022 Winter Olympics bidding results|
2020 Winter Youth Olympics host city electionEdit
The host city of the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics will also be chosen during the same IOC session. The two candidate cities, Lausanne, Switzerland, and Brașov, Romania, were shortlisted in early December.
|2020 Winter Youth Olympics bidding results|
Participants of session have considered the sports to be added to the Tokyo 2020 program. A new shortlist of eight sports were unveiled on June 22, 2015. These sports include baseball/softball, bowling, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, surfing, and wushu.
The federations of the eight sports made their presentations in Tokyo on August 7–8, 2015. In September 2015, organisers will recommend one or more of the sports to the International Olympic Committee for inclusion in 2020 Olympic program, with the final decision in August 2016.
Recognition of South SudanEdit
The IOC approved South Sudan's inclusion as a full member of the Committee, allowed the country to participate in Rio 2016 under its national flag. The IOC code for South Sudan Olympic Team is SSD.
- "Olympic Council of Asia : News". Ocasia.org. 2014-02-07. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- IOC Inspects 2015 Site; German Sports Hall of Fame; 2012 Qualification Update
- Kuala Lumpur to host 2022 Games vote
- Kuala Lumpur set to be city where 2022 Winter Olympics decided
- "IOC shortlists two cities for 3rd Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2020". Olympic.org. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- Butler, Nick (2014-12-06). "Lausanne and Brașov shortlisted to host 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games". Insidethegames.biz. Retrieved 2015-05-18.
- OCM to bid for 127th IOC Session
- News from the NOCs - South Africa Medal Targets; Kuala Lumpur for 2015 IOC Session?
- MENY. "Finner du ikke det du leter etter?" (PDF). Idrett.no. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-11-09. Retrieved 2015-07-26.
- "KL Draws Global Attention As Host Of 128th IOC Session". Bernama. Retrieved 2015-07-26.
- Baseball, softball among 8 sports proposed for 2020 Games
- "Olympic Games: Snooker misses out on 2020 Tokyo place". BBC Sport. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Butler, Nick (2015-07-07). "Exclusive: South Sudan set for Olympic recognition at IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur". Insidethegames.biz. Retrieved 2015-07-26.
- "S. Sudan becomes newest Olympic committee member". 3 August 2015. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "South Sudan Becomes 206th Olympic Country". 3 August 2015. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "South Sudan to compete in 2016 Summer Olympics". 3 August 2015. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "South Sudan to compete in Rio after becoming 206th Olympic nation". 3 August 2015. Retrieved 6 August 2015.