|Ab urbe condita||1951|
|Balinese saka calendar||1119–1120|
|English Regnal year||9 Ric. 1 – 10 Ric. 1|
|Chinese calendar||丁巳年 (Fire Snake)|
3894 or 3834
— to —
戊午年 (Earth Horse)
3895 or 3835
|- Vikram Samvat||1254–1255|
|- Shaka Samvat||1119–1120|
|- Kali Yuga||4298–4299|
|Japanese calendar||Kenkyū 9|
|Minguo calendar||714 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||1509/1510 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1740–1741|
1324 or 943 or 171
— to —
1325 or 944 or 172
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1198.|
- March – Philip of Swabia is elected King of Germany by his supporters.
- July – Otto of Brunswick is crowned King of Germany by the House of Welf.
- Frederick II, infant son of German King Henry VI, is crowned King of Sicily.
- John of England captures a party of eighteen French knights and many men-at-arms, in the ongoing conflict against France. King Richard I of England introduces a new Great Seal, in an attempt to keep the war against France funded. The government proclaims that charters previously struck with the old seal are no longer valid, and must be renewed with a fresh payment. The office of Lord Warden of the Stannaries is also introduced, to tax the produce of tin mines in Cornwall and Devon.
- January 8 – Pope Innocent III succeeds Pope Celestine III, to become the 176th pope. He immediately lays an interdict on Laon, in an attempt to stamp out independent beliefs there. This will be followed by interdicts against France in 1199, and Normandy in 1203.
- January 8 – Pope Celestine III (b. c. 1106)
- March 11 – Marie of France, Countess of Champagne, daughter of Louis VII of France (b. 1145)
- April 16 – Duke Frederick I of Austria (b. c. 1175)
- July 24 – Berthold of Hanover, Bishop of Livonia
- September 1 – Dulce, Queen of Portugal, married to King Sancho I of Portugal (b. 1160)
- November 27 – Constance, Queen of Sicily, married to Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1154)
- December 10 – Averroes, Arab philosopher and physician (b. 1126)
- date unknown
- King John by Warren. Published by University of California Press in 1961. p. 47
- King John by Warren. Published by University of California Press in 1961. p. 62
- King John by Warren. Published by University of California Press in 1961. p. 124