İsmail Metin Temel
İsmail Metin Temel
|Born||1958 (age 61–62)|
|Service/||Turkish Land Forces|
|Years of service||1981–present|
|Commands held||Second Army of Turkey|
|Battles/wars||Kurdish–Turkish conflict (1978–present)|
İsmail Metin Temel was born in 1958 in Taht, Bayburt. His family settled in Adana in the 1970s. He joined the Turkish Army in 1981. In 2012, Temel was appointed Commander of the 3rd Tactical Infantry Division/Yuksekova Hakkari. In 2016, General Temel, by now Commander of the Van Gendarmerie Public Security Corps, was appointed Commander of the Second Army.
Ismail has commanded two campaigns, his first campaign was Operation Euphrates Shield, located on the Turkish-Syrian border in which he and Lt. Gen. Zekai Aksakallı successfully carried the operation and neutralizing over 3000 ISIL fighters. His second campaign (Operation Olive Branch) came amid growing tensions between the Turkish and American governments over the latter's support of the Syrian Democratic Forces, which are made up primarily of Kurdish fighters of the YPG, which Turkey considers to be a branch of the PKK. In particular, Turkey objected to announced plans by the US to train and equip a 30,000 strong SDF border force, which Turkey claimed posed a direct threat to their security. On 31 December 2018, he was appointed to General Staff's Directorate of Audit and Evaluation by Presidential Decree.
- sitesi, milliyet.com.tr Türkiye'nin lider haber. "Son dakika: Afrin harekatını Korgeneral İsmail Metin Temel yönetecek!". Milliyet. Retrieved 21 January 2018.
- "Orgeneral İsmail Metin Temel 2. Ordu Komutanı oldu" (in Turkish). Bayburt City News. 28 July 2016.
- "Eğirdir Dağ Komando Okulu Komutanı Tümgeneral Temel'den, Veda Ziyareti". Haberler.com (in Turkish). Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- "2. Ordu Komutanlığı Korgeneral İsmail Metin Temel atandı" (in Turkish). Istıklal. 29 July 2016.
-  Son dakika... General atamaları Resmi Gazete'de yayımlandı
| Commander of the Second Army of Turkey
18 July 2016 - 31 December 2018