French National School for the Judiciary
The French National School for the Judiciary (French: École nationale de la magistrature or ENM) is a French post-graduate school, where French judges and public prosecutors are trained. The institution was created by ordinance of 22 December 1958 as the "National Centre for Judicial Studies" (French: Centre national d'études judiciaires). It became the French National School for the Judiciary in 1972. It is located in Bordeaux and has premises in Paris.
Ecole nationale de la Magistrature
The aim of the training provided by the ENM is to form a corps of judges and public prosecutors who are suitable for all posts on the bench as well as in the public prosecution service in first instance courts. The judicial functions are :
- Tribunal de Grande Instance judge
- Instance (small claims) Court judge
- Investigating judge
- Juvenile Court judge
- Probation judge
- Deputy Public Prosecutor
A prospective judge or deputy public prosecutor must complete a Bachelor in Law (which requires three years of study) and a Master in Law (which requires two years of study) before entering the National School for the Judiciary. Admission is made through an entrance examination, which people generally take after completing dedicated studies in post-graduate preparatory class (Institut d'études judiciaires).
In 2013, 2280 people were candidates; among them, 324 were invited to oral examinations, and 214 were admitted. French citizenship is required for admission to the French National School for the Judiciary.
- Ordinance No. 58-1270 of 22 December 1958 for an organic law regarding the status of the judiciary, article 14 in its original version: « Il est institué un centre national d’études judiciaires »
- French National School for the Judiciary web site, Presentation Archived 2009-05-12 at the Wayback Machine. Consulted on May 22, 2009.
- (in French) "Pour s’y présenter, il faut être .. de nationalité française", in French National School for the Judiciary web site, Magistrat, Les recrutements sur concours, page 1. Consulted on July 4, 2009.
- (in French) "Les conditions d'accès à la magistrature (en cours de réforme) ... Dans tous les cas, les candidats doivent ... posséder la nationalité française" in French Ministry of Justice web site, Ecole nationale de la magistrature, October 1, 2008. Consulted on July 4, 2009.
- See section "Conditions communes à tous les types de recrutement" in (in French) Université de Rouen web site, ENM Conditions d'accès. Consulted on July 4, 2009.