Álvaro de Miranda Neto
Álvaro Affonso de Miranda Neto (born 5 February 1973), more commonly known as Álvaro de Miranda or "Doda" Miranda, is an Olympic-class Brazilian show jumping rider. He was married to Athina Onassis. He is president of the organizing committee behind the Athina Onassis International Horse Show, which debuted in 2007 as the fifth stage of the Global Champions Tour in São Paulo. In 2008, the AOIHS-São Paulo event was the final phase of the tour. For the tour in 2009, the host city of the AOIHS was Rio de Janeiro.
Álvaro de Miranda
Miranda with Ashleigh Drossel Dan
Álvaro Affonso de Miranda Neto
5 February 1973
São Paulo, Brazil
|Occupation||Brazilian Olympic equestrian athlete|
Owner, AD Sport Horses
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||83 kg (183 lb)|
(m. 2005; div. 2017)
|Olympic medal record|
|1996 Atlanta||Team jumping|
|2000 Sydney||Team jumping|
Early life and familyEdit
Together with full siblings Anna Luiza and Paulo Fernando from his father's first marriage and half-siblings Beatriz and Ricardo from his second, Doda grew up in Brazil, but while still quite young in 1983 he began training for competitive show jumping at Nelson Pessoa's prestigious riding school in Belgium. Miranda has a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Rio Branco College. He studied for one year at a university in Brussels. He left school after one year of study to devote himself fully to his sport. He told Isto é Gente (a Brazilian magazine) in February 2003 that his mother was disappointed at first with this decision, but now he has no regrets because he has been doing what he loves. At that time, his sponsors (including Visa and Audi) paid for his horses.
Miranda is a four-time Olympic rider and two-time Olympic medalist. His Brazilian team won bronze medals at the 2000 Summer and 1996 Summer Olympic Games. At both the Atlanta and Sydney Games, he rode "Aspen Joter," a stallion who was born in 1985. He partnered himself with "Countdown" (b. 1992) for Brazil at the 2004 Summer Olympics, and again at the 2008 Summer Olympics. He also participated at the 2003 Pan American Games.
In June 2009, Miranda ranked #2 in the Monte Carlo grand prix of the Global Champions Tour. He ranked 18th, with 32 points, leading into the GCT final in Doha, Qatar, in November 2009. His performance in Doha ( 11–14 November 2009) was unremarkable at first, but he gained third place in the final, an event with a purse of €300,000.
In November 2009, Miranda (on AD Picolien Zeldenrust) was the third-place winner of the Global Champions Tour final in Doha. He actually had the fastest time, but his penalty placed him behind Michel Robert (first place) and Jos Lansink (second place).
With his ex-wife, Athina Onassis de Miranda, he owns the AD Sport Horses company, which breeds and trains horses and is based at Haras de Ligny, the compound owned by the father-son team of Nelson and Rodrigo Pessoa in Fleurus, Belgium. In December 2009, at the Gucci Masters, Miranda confirmed that the company was moving to his and his wife's new property in the Netherlands early in 2010.
List of horses
- AD Picolien Zeldenrust (b. 1997, Dutch Warmblood chestnut mare);
- AD Chatwin (b. 1993, bay gelding, Holsteiner, retired after leg injury in July 2008);
- AD Ornella (b. 1999, sold in December 2009 to Hernan Crespo via Jan Tops);
- AD Norson (b. 2001, chestnut stallion);
- AD Como II (b. 1997, bay gelding, Holsteiner);
- AD Peanuts (b. 1994, chestnut mare);
- AD Untouchable (b. 2001, grey stallion);
- AD Ashleigh Drossel Dan (b. 1998 grey gelding, Hannoverian)Australian bred.
In December 2005, he married Athina Helene Onassis Roussel (granddaughter of Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis), who legally changed her name the following year to Athina Onassis de Miranda. Miranda's longtime friend and fellow jumping rider Rodrigo Pessoa served as the best man at the wedding. They were divorced in November 2017.
Cibele Dorsa committed suicide on 26 March 2011 at 36. Her suicide-note publication in Brazil's gossip magazine Caras was forbidden by Miranda's attorneys due to mentions relating him to Dorsa's suicide.
- A kiss from proud Athina as Doda organises key show-jumping event. hellomagazine.com, 3 August 2007
- Onassis' big fab Greek wedding. The Sydney Morning Herald, 4 December 2005
- Juliana Lopes Athina Onassis no Brasil (Portuguese) Istoe Gente 3 March 2003
- Juliana Lopes O cavaleiro e a herdeira de US$ 5 bilhões (Portuguese) Istoe Gente 10 February 2003
- NBC profile for Alvaro Miranda for the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic coverage. nbcolympics.com
- Alvaro Alfonso de Miranda Neto, Competition Results, Horse Planet
- Athens Olympics Equestrian Schedule and Results. The Age. 2004
- Athens Olympics Equestrian Results (Sports Illustrated)
- Le gros lot pour Robert. l'Equipe. 14 November 2009.
- Mary Ormsby The horse, the heiress, and the golden hurdle, The Star, 3 June 2007
- Quem Magazine (Brazil), 10 June 2008
- Michelle Green Onassis Heiress Weds, People Magazine, Vol. 64, No. 25, 19 December 2005
- "La verdad del divorcio de Athina Onassis y Doda Miranda". 19 February 2019. Archived from the original on 19 February 2019.