Álex Pina (born 23 June 1967) is a Spanish television producer, writer, series creator and director, known for the crime drama La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). Previous shows include Vis a Vis (Locked Up), El embarcadero (The Pier) and Los hombres de Paco (Paco's Men). His newest series, Sky Rojo, started filming in November 2019, while White Lines, a co-production for Netflix with The Crown team, first streamed on 15 May 2020. The Hollywood Reporter listed Pina in their "Top International Showrunners of 2019".
Between 1993 and 1996, he worked as a scriptwriter and editor for Videomedia until he then joined Globomedia in 1996.
In 1997, at the same production company, he started his career as a screenwriter in the television series Más que amigos, from there, he began to play the roles of creator and executive producer in iconic Spanish series such as Los Serrano, Los hombres de Paco, and El barco.
At the end of 2016, after the launch of Vis a vis by Antena 3, Pina left Globomedia and founded Vancouver Media, his own production company. The first production was La Casa de Papel (Money Heist), which premiered on Antena 3 on 2 May 2017 with more than four million viewers. The series was distributed worldwide by Netflix and became the biggest success of his career, leading to the signing of an exclusive contract with the streaming platform for the creation and production of an original series. In 2020 Alex Pina produced White Lines.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (12 July 2018). "Netflix Sets Overall Deal With 'La Casa De Papel' Creator Alex Pina". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Silvestre, Etxeandia y Auquer, en la nueva serie española de Netflix". elperiodico.com (in Spanish). 14 November 2019. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Finnis, Alex (5 May 2020). "White Lines cast: Netflix release date, who stars with Daniel Mays and what the new series is about". iNews. Retrieved 12 May 2020.
- Roxborough, Scott (25 November 2019). "TV's Global Elites: Meet the Top International Showrunners of 2019". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- Navarro, Núria (17 November 2019). "Álex Pina: "Soy un hedonista militante, como Berlín"". El Periódico.
- "Álex Pina, creador de Periodistas o Vis a vis, deja Globomedia. Noticias de Televisión". El Confidencial (in Spanish). 15 November 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Moreno, Adriano (3 May 2017). "'La Casa de Papel' barre en su estreno con más de 4 millones de espectadores". Cadena SER (in Spanish). Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Solà Gimferrer, Pere (17 April 2018). "'La casa de papel' es la serie de habla no inglesa más vista de la historia de Netflix". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Everything you need to know about new Netflix series White Lines". inews.co.uk. Retrieved 26 May 2020.