|City of license||Millville, New Jersey|
|Broadcast area||Atlantic City, New Jersey|
|First air date||February 2, 1962 (as WMVB-FM)|
|Callsign meaning||W ESPN New Jersey|
|Former callsigns||WMVB-FM (1962-1988)
|Sister stations||WPGG, WFPG, WPUR, WSJO|
WENJ (97.3 FM) is a radio station that airs a sports radio format for the Atlantic City, New Jersey area, licensed to Millville. Its transmitter is located in Corbin City, New Jersey. The station is affiliated with ESPN Radio. As of January 2011, the station carries Philadelphia Eagles football games from the Eagles Radio Network.
WENJ first signed on February 2, 1962 as WMVB-FM, an FM sister station to WMVB (1440), airing an easy listening format; through the 1970s, the station began to evolve to an adult contemporary format. The station became WBSS-FM (Boss 97 FM) in 1988, following a shift to contemporary hit radio. In 1995, WBSS was sold to the owners of WKXW (101.5), which switched the station to a simulcast of WKXW's news/talk and oldies format, with a small amount of local news.
On March 15, 2002, WBSS dropped the simulcast of WKXW in favor of a modern adult contemporary format, with a call change to WIXM (referring to the station's branding of "Mix 97.3") following a few weeks later.
In May 2009, WKXW began to remove references to having a simulcast partner for South Jersey from its promotions, indicating a planned format change for WXKW; on June 1, the station switched to ESPN Radio as WENJ-FM. The sports format had previously been heard in the market on WENJ (AM), which switched to ESPN Deportes Radio after a brief period of simulcasting. The station simulcasted again on that station from January 2, 2011 to October 15, 2012.
On October 31, 2012, the station changed its call sign to the current WENJ.
- "New Jersey FM Radio History". Radio-History.com. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- Fybush, Scott (August 25, 2000). "NERW On The Road!". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- Fybush, Scott (March 18, 2002). "Millennium Spins it at the Shore". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- Fybush, Scott (April 17, 2002). "Saga Buys WXOD/WKBK". North East RadioWatch. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- Fybush, Scott (November 8, 2004). "Salty Brine, 1918-2004". NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- Fybush, Scott (July 3, 2006). "WCRB Move Nears Completion". NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- Fybush, Scott (May 25, 2009). "On Memorial Day, No On-Air "Rewound"". NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- "ESPN-FM 97.3 to cover Cape May to Toms River, Atlantc City to Philadelphia". Gloucester County Times (NJ.com). May 29, 2009. Retrieved June 6, 2009.
- WENJ official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WENJ
- Radio-Locator information on WENJ
- Query Arbitron's FM station database for WENJ