||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
|Industry||Food & Drinks|
|Headquarters||Tuen Mun, Hong Kong|
Vitasoy (Chinese: 維他奶; Cantonese Yale: wàih tā náaih) (SEHK: 0345) is a brand of beverages and desserts in Hong Kong. Founded in 1940, it now operates under the Vitasoy International Holdings Limited based in Hong Kong.
"Vitasoy" products were centered on the high-protein soymilk drink that the company first produced. Over the years the company expanded beyond the soy drink products and started to produce a wide variety of beverages. Some of them (such as the fruit juice) were given the derivative brand name "Vita".
Vitasoy was founded by Dr. Kwee Seong Lo (1910 – 1995) on March 9, 1940 in Hong Kong with door-to-door delivery of the milk alternative. At that time, many people suffered from poverty and malnutrition due to the higher price of milk, so Dr. Lo wanted to save the children from this blight, but because he realized many Chinese immigirants are lactose intolerant, so he focused on soy milk. The company ceased operations from 1941 to 1945 during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. It re-emerged after the war was over.
The international expansion came in the 1980s and 1990s as soy based products found a market outside of Asia. Yvonne Lo, daughter of the founder established Vitasoy USA Inc. in 1979 and is currently CEO of Vitasoy USA based in San Francisco, CA.
The current CEO is Charles Chyi, known for his innovative works in the Asia market.
Vitasoy Soy drinks come in original, malt, coconut, melon, chocolate, taro, mocha and red bean flavours. Mint chocolate, ginger and eggnog flavors are available seasonally. Vitasoy San Sui tofu dessert is available in enriched, silken, firm, silken enriched, sweetened, and almond. Vitasoy also offers:
- Juices - Lychee, sugar cane, orange, mango, blackcurrant and guava, pineapple and mango, apple
- Carbonated drinks - cola, Cream Soda, Lemon Lime and Orange
- Yin Hai Jelly Juices - Pineapple, Strawberry and Blueberry
- Vita Supreme Coffee drink
- Teas - Lemon, Honey Chrysanthemum, Chrysanthemum, Green Tea, Supericy and Herbal Tea. Vita Tsing Sum Zhan Teas are Sugarcane and Imperate, American Ginseng with Honey, Grapefruit Lemon, Mandarin Lemon, Green Apple with Cucumber, Mandarin with aloe and Apple and Jasmine. Gor Yin Hai Teas are Apple, Passionfruit, lemon, peach, lychee; Icy Pink grapefruit, lemon and peach. Vita Cha T Din are Icy Lemon, Icy Green Tea, Iced Passionfruit, Iced Apple, Iced Mango, Iced Honey Green Tea, Iced Lemon, Iced Peach
- Soy-based salad dressings and mayonnaise
- Pasta and noodles
- Vitasoy San Sui Tofu Series - Dessert Tofu, Scallop Tofu and Silken Tofu
- Tuen Mun, Hong Kong - boxed drinks to Hong Kong, North America and Asia
- Shenzhen, China - for Chinese and Hong Kong markets
- Shanghai, China - for Chinese and Hong Kong markets
- Ayer, Massachusetts - for North America (United States and Canada)
- Victoria, Australia - supplying to Australia and New Zealand
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Vitasoy|