|IATA: VGA – ICAO: VOBZ
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
Vijayawada Airport (IATA: VGA, ICAO: VOBZ) (Telugu:విజయవాడ విమానాశ్రయము) is situated at a distance of 20 kilometers from the city of Vijayawada on National Highway 5 connecting Chennai to Kolkata. It is a mid-sized domestic airport serving interiors of Andhra Pradesh and its neighboring states of India. Its longest runway is 7,500 feet in length at an elevation of 82 feet, resulting in more flights landing, including the wide-bodied aircraft. Due to an increase in air traffic from this region, Airports Authority of India is developing and making infrastructural changes to the airport.
Airlines and destinations
National Carrier, Air India introduced a new service from Delhi to Vijayawada via Hyderabad from October 30. An Airbus A-319 with 122 seats capacity will be connected to Vijayawada. Passengers from Vijayawada will have easy connectivity from to Chicago, New York and Toronto with stops (One hour wait - no plane change) at Hyderabad and change of aircraft in New Delhi, but a single ticket is issued from Vijayawada.4 a321 and b737-200 can be parked at a time.
Private airlines, Spicejet and Jet Airways introduced a direct flight from Gannavaram to Hyderabad. The SpiceJet introduced a 78-seater Q-400 aircraft from September 28, 2011 between Vijayawada city and Hyderabad twice daily - one in the morning (8.30 am) and another in the evening (5.30 pm), While Jet Airways is operating a 62-seater ATR 72-500 aircraft, a direct flight to Hyderabad six days a week and introduced additional flights to Bangalore.
|Air India||Delhi, Hyderabad|
|Jet Airways||Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Madurai.|
|Spicejet||Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad|
Accidents and incidents
- Airport information for VOBZ at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- RAMESH SUSARLA. "Extended airport runway trial begins in Vijayawada". The Hindu. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "More flights from Vijayawada". The Times of India. Retrieved Oct 22, 2011.
- "Another pvt airliner to operate from Gannavaram". The Times of India. Retrieved Mar 14, 2011.
- "Air India launches Delhi-Vijayawada flight". Moneycontrol. Retrieved Oct 27, 2011.
- "ILS equipment calibrated at Gannavaram Airport". The hindu. Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- "Air India's new link between Delhi and Vijayawada". Airindia.com. Retrieved Oct 28, 2011.
- "Jet Airways launches direct flight to Hyderabad six days a week". The Hindu. Retrieved Mar 28, 2011.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 8 October 2009.