Victor E. Bull
|Victor E. Bull|
|University||University at Buffalo|
|Description||Anthropomorphic blue bull|
Victor E. Bull is the mascot for the Buffalo Bulls, the athletic teams of the University at Buffalo in Buffalo, New York, USA. Victor is an anthropomorphic blue bull. Victor performs at all Buffalo home football and basketball games. In 2002, Victor E. Bull was chosen as a member of the Capital One All America Mascot Team. Victor was featured in a national television spot along with eleven other national collegiate mascots, and was given a chance to compete for the Capital One Bowl mascot of the year as part of the Capital One Mascot Challenge. The mascot contest was open to all NCAA Division I-A and I-AA school mascots representing collegiate football programs. The twelve finalists were chosen by a panel of judges composed of representatives from ESPN, Capital One and the mascot community. The judging criteria included fan interaction, good sportsmanship and community service involvement.
Buffalo's first unofficial mascot was an 175-pound bison head nicknamed "Boscoe" that was given to the students by two alumni in 1934. In 1957, Buffalo acquired its first live mascot when Mike Todd and Elizabeth Taylor gave the school a seven-month-old black angus bull named "Buster." Buster was born on a farm in Western New York, and was presented to the school as part of Taylor and Todd's visit with Buffalo Mayor Steven Pankow to celebrate Buffalo's 125th anniversary. As Buster matured, he became increasingly bad-tempered, and was replaced by Buster II and a whole line of successive Busters, all raised by an Elma, New York farmer named Chester Malach. The live mascot tradition at Buffalo continued until 1970, when the university discontinued NCAA Division I football. In 1997, as part of Buffalo's preparation to return to the NCAA Division I, the Buffalo athletics department adopted the anthropomorphic Victor E. Bull as the school's new mascot.
- "Victor E. Bull: Behind the Mascot". The Spectrum. February 4, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Capital One Mascot Challenge History". capitalonebowl.com. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- Moritz, Amy (October 16, 2002). "FOR UB'S MASCOT, IT'S A BULL MARKET". The Buffalo News. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- Watson, Stephen (November 27, 2002). "INSIDE UB". The Buffalo News. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Victor E. Bull competes for title of "Mascot of the Year"". UB Reporter. December 5, 2002. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "The UB Mascot". University at Buffalo. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- "Buster's arrival on campus". UB Today. Retrieved 2012-11-16.