Verband Deutscher Industrie Designer
Verband Deutscher Industrie Designer e.V. or VDID  is a professional organization for industrial designers based in Germany that was founded by 7 German designers in 1959. The VDID is an association of German designers founded to promote the exchange of knowledge, ideas, professionalism, friendship, and support to all members to assist in the everyday working environment and career of industrial designers. The VDID works as a mediator between industry and designers, as well as politics and the economy. This organization is a sister organization to the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) through the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (ICSID).
Seven professional industrial designers that later were referred to in publications and in the media as the "7", joined together to found the VDID in 1959. These seven designers are Professor Arno Votteler, Professor Hans Erich Slany, Hans-Theo Baumann,Herbert Hirche,Günter Kupetz, Rainer Schütze, and Peter Raacke. They believed that designers needed an association to promote professional advocacy, support them in both legal and educational issues, and to represent the profession to the public. Around that same time they joined the ICSID as a full member. VDID also works closely with the German Fashion and Textile Design Association (VDMD) under the umbrella of the German Designer Association (DDV).
Exhibitions, Meetings, Contests and Design Awards
The VDID promotes many other organizations within Germany and all of Europe by promoting exhibits, awards, and contests within the profession of industrial design. To accomplish this, there are regional as well as national meetings held regularly. The VDID sponsors such events as visiting the Porsche Museum, lectures on rapid prototyping, and lecture series by well known designers. While they support many competitions, these two are specific to the VDID:
- VDID Student Design Competition
- VDID Paper AB Competition
- Fiell, Peter; Fiell, Charlotte; Krumhauer, Julia, (2003). Industrial Design A-Z, Tashen, ISBN 978-3-8228-2426-9
- Bauer, Wolfgang-Otto (2007). European Cutlery Design 1948-2000, Arnoldsche Art Publishers, ISBN 978-3-89790-246-6.
- Ogursky, Guenter; Stof, Gabrielle (editors) (Unknown). The Influence of Ergonomics on the Design of Power Tools, Robert Bosch GmbH, Stuttgart
- Godau, Marion; Antonelli, Paola, (2007) Design Directory Germany, Universe, ISBN 978-0-7893-0389-9
- Marquart, Christian, (1994). Industrial Culture - Industrial Design: A Piece of German Economic and Design History: The Founder Members of the Association of German Industrial, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-3-433-02343-3
- Zimmer, Prof. Dieter, (1987). Zwei x 12 Deutsche Designer, md Moebel Interior Design
- Zec, Prof. Peter, (1997). German Design Standards, Koln: DuMont, ISBN 978-3-7701-4290-3
- Betts, Paul, (2007), The Authority of Everyday Objects: A Cultural History of West German Industrial Design (Weimar and Now: German Cultural Criticism), University of California Press, ISBN 978-0-520-25384-1