|Born||1 December 1955
|Occupation||director, editor, sound editor, production manager, film and television writer and actor|
Aaltonen began his career in the middle of the 70s working as a sound editor in various of films. The highpoint of his early career was the co-operation with Rauni Mollberg. He worked as a co-writer in two of his films, Milka (1980) and The Unknown Soldier (1985).
In 1987 Aaltonen directed his first feature film Tilinteko that he co-wrote with Aki Kaurismäki, who also produced the film. Five years later he directed a film that has been considered his primary breakthrough, The Prodigal Son (1992).
Aaltonen has also made documentaries and directed TV series.
- The Worthless (Arvottomat, 1982) – actor
- Crime and Punishment (Rikos ja rangaistus, 1983) – editor
- The Unknown Soldier (Tuntematon sotilas, 1985) – co-writer
- La Vie de Bohème (1992) – editor
- Our Father... (Isä meidän, 1993) – director, writer, editor
- Seasick (1996) – director, co-editor
- Kiss Me in the Rain (Rakkaudella, Maire, 1999) – director, editor
- Trench Road (Juoksuhaudantie, 2004) – director, writer
|This article about a Finnish film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|