|Vandal Fighter home • User Manual • Bug Reports • Feature Requests • Old VF versions • Development notes|
Latest - stable: 3.3 (Mar/06) • beta: 3.5b51 (Jul/09)
|I'm merging some features written by cs:User:Beren, courageous people can get the latest version from svn|
Bug reports moved from the main page
- blacklisting articles seems broken
- need more info Henna 00:51, 11 March 2006 (UTC)
- Could the links in "about" made clickable?
- Could we assign priority ratings to our blacklisted users? When editing is calm, I ‘d like lesser vandals (notorious sand boxers e.g.) to be highlighted. During peaks, highlighting only flagrant vandals might be more realistic. Dolledre 12:09, 13 March 2006 (UTC)
New bug reports go in sections below here
While refactoring and combining reports, I'll be spending some time very soon contacting editors from the old discussion page who have reported bugs that are either open or the Operating System/configuration hasn't been determined to help isolate the problem.
Please list all new issues in new sections as of 3/23/2006 below this section.
Auto blacklist vs whitelist is not working
Auto blacklist/watch toggles broken
As far as I can see, in 3.3 the "auto blacklist users that create speedied pages" and "auto watchlist pages that have been speedied" are broken in that clearing the checkbox doesn't stop them from being enabled. The temp watchlist/blacklist sections still get filled with entries.
- Yup, correct. Vildricianus 14:36, 4 April 2006 (UTC)
- in need of usertesting with 3.5, have never used this feature, and have only last week discovered it only works on en: Henna 17:53, 16 May 2006 (UTC)
- I will get to it ASAP although I'm on a semi-wikibreak until the end of the month.
- -- That Guy, From That Show! 07:05, 23 May 2006 (UTC)
- I will get to it ASAP although I'm on a semi-wikibreak until the end of the month.
The client stops responding after running for a while and I haveto kill the process.
- might very well be fixed, is in need of more usertesting, try out the latest version :)
Henna 17:50, 16 May 2006 (UTC)
After you click the import bots button, the message you get says "sucessfully imported admins". This should be changed to bots. VegaDark 02:55, 16 April 2006 (UTC)
version: international (it language, it wiki)
java: Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
OS: window XP
browser: Firefox 184.108.40.206
Problem: the VF crashes when the window is send to the tray bar. It happens very frequently, the VF window becomes all gray, and I have to shut down the VF with the Task manager. It seems to happen just working with the VF, I have noticed no specific action that cause the crash. I used the VF both with old data and new data, no difference in behaviour.
- This might be fixed in the 3.5 series, is in need of more usertesting tho since I'm having a hard time crashing VF on my computer. Henna 17:49, 16 May 2006 (UTC)
Filtering doesn't work for me
Selecting "show only new pages", "show only watchlist" etc... seem to have no effect. I still get an unfiltered list of article changes. This happens even while using a fresh copy in a new directory.
- The same for me... For example if I check "Show only IP edits", I still have an unfiltered list, and if I close then reopen the software, the box is unchecked... --Slasher-fun 12:04, 22 April 2006 (UTC)
Fails on loading new customizations
Hey, I thought you'd like to know that the VF sort of works using Kaffe rather than the official JRE. It starts up and runs really sluggishly under my Debian, but I can't seem to get it to open up diffs in a browser, because whenever I customize it to use the proper binary (the autodetect fails to use my Firefox installation), the next time I use it, it fails with the following message:
java.lang.NullPointerException at javax.swing.event.EventListenerList.add (EventListenerList.java:150) at javax.swing.AbstractListModel.addListDataListener (AbstractListModel.java:74) at javax.swing.JList.setModel (JList.java:1651) at javax.swing.JList.<init> (JList.java:1062) at vf.<init> (vf.java:580) at Vandalfighter.main (Vandalfighter.java:58)
Might as well throw in the .xml file as well:
<?xml version="1.0"?> <!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM 'http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd'> <properties><entry key="rblackpage">true</entry><entry key="colorblist">true</entry><entry key="colorchanged">true</entry><entry key="reverttempButton">true</entry><entry key="watchdeltempButton">true</entry><entry key="changedcolorG">255</entry><entry key="rwhitepage">true</entry><entry key="listprecedence">true</entry><entry key="delpageperButton">false</entry><entry key="delpagetemButton">true</entry><entry key="blackreverted">true</entry><entry key="reversetable">false</entry><entry key="changedcolorR">204</entry><entry key="autoscroll">true</entry><entry key="userpagecolorR">205</entry><entry key="watchlistcolorR">153</entry><entry key="vandalism_en_box">true</entry><entry key="watchdeleted">true</entry><entry key="movecolorB">102</entry><entry key="watchpagemoves">true</entry><entry key="removereviewed">false</entry><entry key="browserpick">false</entry><entry key="userpagecolorG">201</entry><entry key="movecolorG">102</entry><entry key="colormoves">true</entry><entry key="watchlistcolorG">255</entry><entry key="vipButton">false</entry><entry key="newpages">false</entry><entry key="blacklistcolorR">255</entry><entry key="userpagecolorB">201</entry><entry key="revertpermButton">false</entry><entry key="watchlistcolorB">255</entry><entry key="vandalism_nl_box">false</entry><entry key="coloruserpage">true</entry><entry key="movecolorR">255</entry><entry key="rwhitesummary">false</entry><entry key="watchdelpermButton">false</entry><entry key="vandalism_box">false</entry><entry key="blacklistcolorG">255</entry><entry key="blackdeleted">true</entry><entry key="rblackuser">true</entry><entry key="showips">false</entry><entry key="blacklistcolorB">0</entry><entry key="rblacksummary">true</entry><entry key="watchnewpages">true</entry><entry key="rwhiteuser">false</entry><entry key="newcolorB">102</entry><entry key="ipcolorR">255</entry><entry key="newcolorG">204</entry><entry key="colorips">true</entry><entry key="showwatch">false</entry><entry key="olddeleted">true</entry><entry key="colornew">true</entry><entry key="ipcolorG">204</entry><entry key="newcolorR">255</entry><entry key="ipcolorB">255</entry><entry key="stripformatting">true</entry><entry key="queueedits">true</entry><entry key="vipeditButton">false</entry><entry key="colorwatch">true</entry><entry key="watchuserpages">true</entry><entry key="blockbutton">true</entry><entry key="newversion">true</entry><entry key="watchmasschanges">true</entry><entry key="singleclick">true</entry><entry key="risk">true</entry><entry key="changedcolorB">204</entry></properties>
Some entries from other languages...
I am connected on #fr.wikipedia, but some entries appearing in the list are from en.wikipedia... --Slasher-fun 12:07, 22 April 2006 (UTC)
- either edit the vfdata.xml file, or get the latstest dev-version.
Henna 22:28, 23 April 2006 (UTC)
I still get more or less the same problems I described below, but I'll try to be a bit more specific here. (OS: Windows XP, latest java installed)
- Things that work: imported admin list, article watchlist, most configuration tickboxes, column widths; these are all remembered when I shut down/restart.
- Things that don't work: column positions (I try to move the "project" column to the back but it gets up front again on restart), default browser (emptied), default channel (always back to en.wikipedia), colour specifications (back to default).
Hope this helps. Cheers, Vildricianus 17:32, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
- MM, yes, I just need to remember THIS as my start todolist when I get back from holliday Henna 21:50, 18 June 2006 (UTC)
Import old vfdata.dat
Problems with the 3.5-xx versions
46, 47 and 48 can't manage to save my configuration settings, although they all create a vfdata2.dat and vfdata2.txt.
Is it intended that they don't create a vfdata.dat file? This problem doesn't exist with the vf35bl and vf35bk versions. Vildricianus 14:28, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
- Observed the same here, config is not saved at all, irregardless of the vfdata2.txt file. --grin ✎ 12:28, 16 August 2006 (UTC)
The "import bots" and "import admins" functions sometimes do not import anything, but still report that importing was successful. In addition, the "import bots" function reports "Successfully imported admins from en.wikipedia". - Mike Rosoft 10:10, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
Okay, I have discovered a more serious bug in the Vandal Fighter. After disconnecting, it doesn't seem to be possible to connect again. (The message line "joined channel #en.wikipedia" appears, but no edits are displayed.) Not to mention some minor problems - mainly misspellings: "pauzed" instead of "paused", and that the application name is "Vandal Fighter someversion". I am using the newest version (3.5-48). - Mike Rosoft 13:22, 16 June 2006 (UTC)
By the way, is it possible for the program to remember the window and column sizes? It's a bit annoying to have to set them each time I start it. (There seems to be a bug: it first sets the window size to one I had when I quit it, and then resets it to default.) - Mike Rosoft 13:27, 16 June 2006 (UTC)
It seems not possible to limit watches to entries from only project de.wikipedia. If such is set under "connect", VF 52 also shows (some) edits from project nl.wikipedia. Maybe there is some hardcoded spot in /IRC/IRC*.java that overrides this manual setting? Maybe it helps to say that those entires show a "high risk" level of 100 and are set in bold letters.220.127.116.11 08:27, 28 June 2006 (UTC)
ok, noted I jsut don't have the energy to fix it atm, will be a few more weeks till i'm not working fulltime anymore before i'm looking into those again. sry Henna 19:49, 9 July 2006 (UTC)
Under Debian GNU/Linux & Gcj
kelson@cadiz:~/Desktop$ touch vfdata2.txt kelson@cadiz:~/Desktop$ java --version java version "1.4.2" gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8) Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. kelson@cadiz:~/Desktop$ java -jar vf35-48.jar Vandalfighter config.readfiles running Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Couldn't load image: images/valid.png at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkImage.<init>(lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.7) at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit.createImage(lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.7) at gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit.getImage(lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.so.7) at vf.getImage(vf.java:1607) at vf.initComponents(vf.java:2264) at vf.<init>(vf.java:163) at Vandalfighter.main(Vandalfighter.java:47)
at the moment i'd say use the sun java, I'll look into it later. Henna 19:48, 9 July 2006 (UTC)
Various issues with 35-52
Hello, as discussed in IRC I have collected several issues with VF 35-52 from Italian users, here.
- The last column (suspicious edit rating) is always in last place after restart, even if it was changed; its new position is not saved.
# Sometimes massive deletions are flagged as "0" in +/- field, regardless of n. of chars removed; no problems reported on additions.
- Sometimes configuration file vfdata2.txt is misteriously deleted, causing loss of all saved regexps and settings. No crashes reported when this happens, disk space is fine.
- Sometimes IRC feed connection is lost and cannot be recovered with "connect" button without closing and restarting.
- Sometimes clicking on a row gets an error because the browser is fed a string starting with 'http2'.
- The IRC connection is started only by hitting "connect" 2 times.
- The # before channel name is not saved
- A string such as '#it.wikipedia,#meta.wikimedia', which is needed to connect to 2 different projects a startup, is not saved.
- No "new page" highlighting is shown if the edit is marked as minor.
Sorry for any duplicate issues. Thanks! --BrokenArrow 22:12, 21 July 2006 (UTC)
Searching for the reason why my PC kept accessing one of the disks regularly, I installed a monitoring program and found a.o. that VF (v 3.3) is writing to vf.dat each time a new edit is added to the main list. As vf.dat is only holding config data, I wonder why this is happening - RonaldB-nl 00:27, 19 August 2006 (UTC)
- found and hopefully elliminated in b10
Right now, I am using version 35b_2. There are several bugs that have persisted from the earlier versions:
- Most of the time, pressing buttons "import bots" or "import admins" does nothing, but still reports "Successfully imported admins from en.wikipedia" (both of them - shouldn't the first one report "imported bots"?).
- After disconnecting, it is not possible to connect again (without closing and restarting the program). The "connect" button doesn't do anything.
- And (I don't know if it is an old bug, or a new one) should I change my connection settings after connecting to a channel, the changes are not recorded when the program is closed.
(The most recent version, 35b_3, is not functional; the settings could not be saved, nor even remembered during a single session, thus making it impossible to connect to anything but the Dutch channel.) - Mike Rosoft 16:09, 27 August 2006 (UTC)
- importing is fixed in b10, settings (colors, channel&browser) have also been fixed normally.
3.5b-3 problems connected to Opera
I'm using opera 9.00 and vf 3.5b-3. When I click on a new artical I get the adress to the artical + %03 in the end. For exampel if someone creats User talk:Henna/VF/Bugs opera gives me the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Henna/VF/Bugs%03
You have made grate improvments to vf, ceap up the good work. (I hope you understand my bad englich.)--Kruosio 18:02, 31 August 2006 (UTC)
VF does not show de_WP RC
I tried all day to get my VF to work again, as it did some months ago.
- I tried several different versions; only results I got were from nl_WP with 3.5b-3.
- The VF does connect to the channels but does not return any output except for the mentioned nl-vandalism-channel
- tried browne.wikimedia.org and irc.wikimedia.org
- tried #de.wikipedia and #en.wikipedia
- I tried accessing the irc channels with a standard client and it worked, though I do not get join or leave messages in the channel while my VF connects, yet the program's status bar reports that the channel has been joined.
Version 3.5b 26 (vf-beren.jar)
I found a bug in Configuration Browser: in the browser's path textbox (for using not deafult browser), after a restart are added "\" chars where no necessary. Example: C:\Programmi\Netscape\Netscape Browser\netscape.exe become C\:\\Programmi\\Netscape\\Netscape Browser\\netscape.exe.sorry for my english Elborgo. 14:40, 18 December 2006 (UTC)
- I have changed my OS. I'm now under Linux (before I was under WinXP). In Linux there is not this problem... "/usr/bin/opera" remain "/usr/bin/opera"... You had fix the bug or... what?. Bye Elborgo 00:19, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
- Ehm sorry... the problem is in Linux too, but I make a mistake... bug is related to "\" character, and this char there isn't in Linux path string... I hope you can understand my very poor english... Bye. Elborgo 00:26, 12 February 2007 (UTC)
Whe a new change appears from a new user, and one clicks on "new user Username" one actually arrives at the page "User: New user Username" instead of "User:Username". Yorian 13:41, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
Some localized Special pages not shown
Some localized special page names (set in $specialPageAliases in the relevant MessagesXx.php file) are not shown in the Italian version. Examples: Special:Log/newusers, Special;Log/protect. --BrokenArrow 23:49, 22 January 2007 (UTC)
- Howdy, the source code is included in the jar file, just rename it to .zip and extract the contents. Note however that it's possible you may be working on things that are already updated in the latest SVN version. Zarius 04:10, 1 April 2007 (UTC)
open liks under linux
The program doesn't open any links (double click on page name) in the web browser (firefox) under SuSE Linux 10.1. Error:
BbrowserLauncher: opening http://it.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Discussione:Svizzera&diff=7656264&oldid=6775399&rcid=7808923
- Try to add this (
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox) (or wherever your browser is) in the "Automatic browser detection test window" while ticking of "Find internet browser automatically" or something (using the Dutch version, so I don't know the right English terms) and press search and go to the directory you've just specified and click on something with the name firefox. Then press OK. That should work (it worked for me with Firefox on Ubuntu 6.10). Kameraad Pjotr 19:41, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
Pause works only once
This has probably been reported before: the pause function (button or Alt-A) only works the first time it is used per session. I am using version 3.5-17. Please reply on my Talk page. Thanks! Owen× ☎ 00:12, 25 August 2007 (UTC)
- Version 3.5b26 fixes that bug, but with -26 I can't close the application! The only way to kill it is from the Task Manager. Owen× ☎ 17:19, 2 September 2007 (UTC)
3.5b 26↑Jump back a section
35b40 or 35b41.jar
I admit that I may not have a clue what I'm doing, if so if someone could point me to the clue dish I would appreciate it.
I have what Sun seems to believe is the latest Windows JRE installed:
- java version "1.6.0_05"
- Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_05-b13)
- Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)
If I try to run either of these jar files from the command line format given on the VF page I get:
- P:\VandalFighter>java -jar vf35b41.jar
- Invalid or corrupt jarfile vf35b41.jar
Same thing with version 40. Double-clicking on one of the jar files doesn't work either.
I tried to download version 3.2, but the links go to a site that IE claims no longer exists. Which kinda blocks that option.
What am I doing wrong?