United States men's national under-20 soccer team
The Stars and Stripes
|Confederation||CONCACAF (North America)|
|Head coach||Tab Ramos|
|Asst coach||Brian Bliss
|Jamaica 1 - 1 United States (Guatemala City, Guatemala April 2, 1964)|
| United States 9 - 0 D.Republic
(Bayamon, Puerto Rico July 22, 1976)
|FIFA U-20 World Cup|
|Appearances||12 (First in 1989)|
|Best result||Fourth Place 1989|
The United States U-20 men's national soccer team is the national under-20 soccer team of the United States of America and is controlled by the United States Soccer Federation. The highest level of competition in which the team competes is the FIFA U-20 World Cup, which is held every two years.
The United States' best finish came in the 1989 FIFA World Youth Championship when the U.S. beat Iraq in the quarterfinal before losing to Nigeria in overtime in the semifinal and Brazil in the third-place match. Steve Snow tied for second in the tournament with three goals.
The U.S. reached the quarterfinals in 1993 but lost to Brazil. After missing out in 1995, the U.S. began a run of six consecutive qualifications in 1997, reaching the second round in five consecutive tournaments. Of those tournaments, the best U.S. performance came in 2003, when the U.S. reached the quarterfinal and led Argentina 1-0 in the final minutes before falling 2-1 in extra time. The U.S. also reached the quarterfinal of the 2007 Cup before losing 2-1 in extra time to Austria.
Major Tournament Results
CONCACAF U-20 Championship Record
- 1976: Third place. Won preliminary round Group 2. Finished 2nd in 2nd round Group A. Lost to Honduras in semifinal. Beat Guatemala for third place.
- 1978: Second round. Won 1st round Group B. Finished 4th in 2nd round Group A.
- 1980: Second place. Won 1st round New Jersey Group. Beat Bermuda in quarterfinal. Beat Honduras on penalties in semifinal. Lost to Mexico in final.
- 1982: Second place. Won 1st round Group A. Won 2nd round Group A. Beat Guatemala in semifinal. Lost to Honduras in final. Qualified when Honduras was disqualified.
- 1984: Fourth place. Finished 2nd in 1st round Group 2. Finished 2nd in 2nd round Group A. Lost to Mexico in semifinal. Lost to El Salvador for third place.
- 1986: Second place. Won Group B. Finished 2nd in final group.
- 1988: Third place. Finished 2nd in Group 1. Finished third in final group. Qualified when Mexico was disqualified.
- 1990: Third place. Won Group 3. Finished third in final group.
- 1992: Second place. Won Group C. Finished second in final group.
- 1994: First round. Finished second in Group C.
- 1996: Third place. Won Group 2. Finished third in final round.
- 1998:† Qualified. Won Group B.
- 2001:† Qualified. Finished 2nd in Group 1.
- 2003:† Qualified. Finished 2nd in Group B.
- 2005:† Qualified. Won Group A.
- 2007:† Qualified. Won Group A.
- 2009: Runner-up and qualified to the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Finished first in Group 1, ahead of Honduras, Jamaica, and El Salvador. They defeated Trinidad and Tobago in a penalty shootout, 4–3, after a scoreless, 120-minute, regulation draw in the semifinals. In the finals the US team lost by a score of 3–0 to Costa Rica.
- 2011: Quarterfinal. Did not qualify for World Cup.
- 2013: Runner-up and qualified to the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Won Group A. In the finals the US team lost by a score of 3–1 to Mexico in extra time.
† The tournament was played with a two-group, qualification format from 1998–2007. There was no championship round.
FIFA U-20 World Cup Record
|FIFA U-20 World Cup record|
|1977||Did Not Qualify|
|1985||Did Not Qualify|
|1991||Did Not Qualify|
|1995||Did Not Qualify|
|1997||Round of 16||4||1||0||3||2||6|
|1999||Round of 16||4||2||0||2||7||7|
|2001||Round of 16||4||1||1||1||5||5|
|2005||Round of 16||4||2||1||1||4||4|
|2011||Did Not Qualify|
Current Cycle Results and Fixtures
|Friendly May 17||France U-20||3 – 3||United States U-20||Carquefou, France|
Knockaert 59', 89'
|Stadium: Stade Moulins
|Friendly May 20||France U-20||2 – 1||United States U-20||Vichy, France|
|Report||Doyle 22'||Stadium: Stade Vichy
|Friendly June 6||Uruguay||4 – 2||United States||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|15:00 UTC−03||Cesar 9'
Cochran 56' (o.g.)
|Stadium: Estadio Gran Parque Central
|Friendly June 6||Panama||2 – 2||United States|
|15:00 UTC−03||Report||Torre 32'
Harrison[disambiguation needed] 89'
|Friendly June 8||Uruguay||2 – 0||United States||Montevideo, Uruguay|
|15:00 UTC−03||Silva 39'
|Report||Stadium: Estadio Viera
|Friendly June 12||Chile||2 – 1||United States||Santiago, Chile|
|19:00 UTC−03||Castillo 18', 60'||Report||Garcia 90+1' (pen.)||Stadium: Estadio Santa Laura-Universidad SEK
|Milk Cup Group Stage July 21||Denmark||1 – 0||United States||Limavady, Northern Ireland|
|17:00 UTC+01||Soren 33'||Report||Stadium: Scroggy Road
|Milk Cup Group Stage July 23||United States||1 – 0||Turkey||Ballymena, Northern Ireland|
|20:00 UTC+01||Pineda 73'||Report||Stadium: Showgrounds
|Milk Cup 3PG July 26||Chile||4 – 3||United States||Ballymena, Northern Ireland|
|13:00 UTC+01||Castillo 49', 70'
Henriquez 66', 68'
|Stadium: Riada Stadium
|2012 Marbella Cup October 10||United States||1 – 2||Canada||Marbella, Spain|
|17:30 UTC+01||Rodriguez 75'||Report||Piette 33'
|Stadium: Marbella Football Center
|2012 Marbella Cup October 12||United States||2 – 0||Scotland||Marbella, Spain|
|15:30 UTC+01||Villareal 22', 31'||Report||Stadium: Marbella Football Center
|2012 Marbella Cup October 16||United States||3 – 2||Azerbaijan||Marbella, Spain|
|17:00 UTC+01||Cuevas 9'
|Report||Asgandarov 20', 75'||Stadium: Marbella Football Center
|CONCACAF U-20 Championship Group A February 18||Haiti||1 – 2||United States||Puebla, Mexico|
|17:30 UTC−06||Jean-Dany 49'||Report|| 4' Gil
|Stadium: Estadio Olímpico de C.U.
|CONCACAF U-20 Championship Group A February 22||United States||1 – 0||Costa Rica||Puebla, Mexico|
|17:30 UTC−06||Villarreal 63'||Report||Stadium: Estadio Olímpico de C.U.
|CONCACAF U-20 Championship Quarters February 26||United States||4 – 2||Canada||Puebla, Mexico|
|17:00 UTC−06||Gil 29'
Villarreal 40', 54'
|Stadium: Estadio Olímpico de C.U.
|CONCACAF U-20 Championship Semis March 1||United States||2 – 0||Cuba||Puebla, Mexico|
|17:00 UTC−06||Rodriguez 7'
|Report||Stadium: Estadio Olímpico de C.U.
|CONCACAF U20 Championship Final March 3||United States||1 – 3||Mexico||Puebla, Mexico|
|18:00 UTC−06||Joya 10' (pen.)||Report||Corona 4'
Espericueta 113' (pen.)
|Stadium: Estadio Cuauhtémoc
|Toulon Group A May 28||France||4 – 1||United States||Toulon, France|
|19:30 UTC+02||Coeff 39'
|Joya 72'||Stadium: Stade Léo Lagrange
|Toulon Group A May 30||Colombia||2 – 1||United States||Nîmes, France|
|17:30 UTC+02||Vergara 44'
|Garcia 7'||Stadium: Stade des Costières
|Toulon Group A June 1||Congo DR||0 – 1||United States||Nice, France|
|15:30 UTC+02||Cuevas 75'||Stadium: Stade du Ray
|Toulon Group A June 5||South Korea||1 – 0||United States||Saint-Raphaël, France|
|17:00 UTC+02||Han 62'||Stadium: Stade Louis Hon
|U20 WC Group A June 21||United States||v||Spain||Istanbul, Turkey|
|21:00 UTC+03||Stadium: Ali Sami Yen Arena
|U20 WC Group A June 24||France||v||United States||Istanbul, Turkey|
|18:00 UTC+03||Stadium: Ali Sami Yen Arena
|U20 WC Group A June 27||Ghana||v||United States||Kayseri, Turkey|
|20:00 UTC+03||Stadium: Kadir Has Stadium
Also receiving call ups this cycle
- "Goal.com – World Cup 2010 Preview: USA – Algeria". Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Newsweek". Retrieved 2010-06-22.