Unidad Académica Campesina-Carmen Pampa
|Unidad Académica Campesina-Carmen Pampa|
Upper campus of the UAC-Carmen Pampa (Campus Leahy)
|Motto||Apredizaje es Metanoia|
|Motto in English||Learning is metanoia|
|Religious affiliation||Catholic University of Bolivia|
|President||Msgr. Juan Vargas Aruquipa (Bishop of Coroico)|
|Director||Dr. Hugh Smeltekop|
|Academic Director||Fr. Emilio Medrano|
|Location||Carmen Pampa, Nor Yungas Province, Bolivia
|Colours||Blue and Gold|
The Unidad Académica Campesina-Carmen Pampa (UAC-Carmen Pampa) is a satellite campus of the Catholic University of Bolivia founded in 1993 to serve the rural poor of Bolivia. It is located in Carmen Pampa, a small farming community 12 km. from the town of Coroico.
The UAC-Carmen Pampa was founded on October 3, 1993, by Sister Damon Nolan, a nun of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Third Order of Saint Francis. It started as part of a consortium of rural campuses of the Catholic University of Bolivia called UACs (Unidades Académicas Campesinas), created to educate the rural poor, and in 2010 became an independent satellite campus of the Catholic University of Bolivia. The university first offered technical degrees in agronomy, veterinary/animal science and nursing. In 1998 the UAC-Carmen Pampa augmented its offering to a licenciatura (BS-equivalent). In 2003 the UAC-Carmen Pampa began offering a licenciatura degree in primary education, and in 2006 started a technical degree in ecotourism. The UAC-Carmen Pampa also offers a remedial one-year program of college preparatory classes called pre-university.
In 1999, the Carmen Pampa Fund was established to provide support for the UAC-Carmen Pampa. It is located in St. Paul, Minnesota.
In 2003, the United Nations recognized the UAC-Carmen Pampa as an institution with "best practices in poverty eradication."  The UAC-Carmen Pampa has also been recognized for its efforts toward ending poverty and increasing profitability and food sovereignty for rural people. In May 2011, the education and health committee of the Legislative Assembly of Bolivia recognized each of the UACs as an Institución Meritoria del Estado (Meritorious Institution of the State) for their work in higher education.
The mission of the UAC-Carmen Pampa is make higher education available to young people of rural areas and those who are, for whatever reason, are unable to pursue such studies; prepare men and women who, inspired by principals of Christian vocation, are called to the service of others, with a high quality professional training and a commitment to Christian principals to guide their decisions; be in constant search for truth and goodness by way of learning/apprenticeship, research, and community extension; develop extension programs through specific projects that meet the needs felt in our communities; and integrate the successes of the university community into the countryside, strengthening and developing progress and socio-economic liberation, through academic, research and extension activities.
- Carmen Pampa Fund. n.d. History and Mission of the College. Available at http://carmenpampafund.org/uac_history.htm. Accessed 2010-08-17.
- Berggren, K. 2003. A school for life in Bolivia. National Catholic Reporter Oct. 17, 2003. Available at http://natcath.org/NCR_Online/archives2/2003d/101703/101703p.htm. Accessed 2010-07-15. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5rFvvnsje)
- UAC-Carmen Pampa. n.d. Reseña histórica. Available at http://www.uac-cp.edu.bo/universidad/rese%F1a.asp. Accessed 2010-08-17. (in Spanish)
- Enders, J. 2010. Educating indigenous students. Global Post July 15, 2010. Available at http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/education/100713/indigenous-bolivia?page=0,0. Accessed 2010-07-15. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5rFyW9bUi)
- College of St. Catherine. 2009. The Carmen Pampa Fund. Available at http://library.stkate.edu/carmenpampa/fund.html. Accessed: 2010-08-17.
- United Nations Sub-Committee in the Eradication of Poverty of the NGO Committee for Social Development. 2003. Best Practices in Poverty Eradication: Case Studies from the Field. United Nations. Available at http://www.ngocongo.org/congo/files/report.pdf. Accessed: 2010-06-25. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5qko1GtTz)
- Cahill, S. 2010. More Than They Can Chew. Different Voices (Radio Program/Newstalk Ireland) July 17, 2010. Available at http://media.newstalk.ie/newstalk/media_uploads/upload_mp3/144702269More_Than_They_Can_Chew__podcast.mp3. Accessed 2010-08-18.
- Kjelberg, C. C. 2008. It takes a village (Radio Program/Minnesota) October 11, 2008. Available at http://www.villagetalkradio.com/listen.html. Accessed 2010-08-18.
- Satterlee, R. 2012. Story of a Rural Bolivian University. Global South Development Magazine. November 7, 2012. Available at http://gsdmagazine.org/2012/11/07/story-of-a-rural-bolivian-university/. Accessed 2012-11-12.
- INFODECOM. 2011.Gobierno reconoce labor educativa de las Unidades Académicas Campesinas de la Univesidad Católica. Available at http://www.infodecom.com/Manager.php?var=15432. Accessed 2011-05-11. (in Spanish)
- UAC-Carmen Pampa. n.d. Visión, Misión, Valores. Available at http://www.uac-cp.edu.bo/universidad/vision.asp. Accessed 2010-08-17. (in Spanish)
↑Jump back a section
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language