UPMC Mercy South Side Outpatient Center
UPMC Mercy South Side Outpatient Center is a 209,000-square-foot (19,400 m2) outpatient and urgent care facility of UPMC Mercy that provides, among other services, diagnostic imaging, same-day surgery, laboratory work, and physicians offices to the residents of Pittsburgh's South Side neighborhood. UPMC Mercy South Side Outpatient Center operates according to the directives established by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and will not provide or permit medical procedures that are contrary to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
Originally founded in 1892 as South Side Hospital, the facility quickly grew from a 30 beds located inside a warehouse on Mary Street to 70 beds. The hospital next added an annex in 1909 and a nine-story East Wing in 1950. These older facilities were demolished in 1982 to make way for the current facility which at the time cost $39 million. On May 1, 1996, the hospital merged with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) to become UPMC South Side and continued to serve as a 149-bed community hospital in the UPMC system. In June 2008, UPMC announced it would close and consolidate UPMC South Side with UPMC Mercy, which is less than two miles (3 km) away, and was undergoing $75-$90 million in expansions to its campus. South Side ended its hospital designation at 6 a.m. on June 30, 2009, when the Emergency Room closed its doors, transferring patients to UPMC Mercy. UPMC South Side reopened as the UPMC Mercy South Side Outpatient Center on July 1, 2009.
- "UPMC: UPMC Mercy South Side Outpatient Center". 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "What Does It Mean to be a Catholic Hospital?". UPMC.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Fitzpatrick, Dan (2008-06-13). "Restructuring will close UPMC South Side, expand Mercy". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA). Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Twedt, Steve (2009-06-26). "New era begins for UPMC South Side Hospital". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA). Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Hasch, Michael (2009-07-01). "UPMC South Side emergency room makes move across river to Mercy". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Pittsburgh, PA). Retrieved 2009-08-10.