UMDNJ – School of Osteopathic Medicine
School of Osteopathic Medicine
|Dean||Thomas A. Cavalieri, D.O.|
|Academic staff||211 (full time)|
|Website||UMDNJ-SOM Official Website|
The School of Osteopathic Medicine (abbreviated SOM, also known as UMDNJ-SOM) is one of eight schools that form the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. The school is located in Stratford, New Jersey, United States. It is one of the top medical schools for geriatric care as ranked by the U.S. News & World Report.
On June 28, 2012 the New Jersey state legislature passed the New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act which will dissolve the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and merge most of its schools, except the UMDNJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine, with Rutgers University by July 1, 2013. UMDNJ-SOM will instead be merged with Rowan University, a smaller public university based out of Glassboro, New Jersey. Effective July 1, 2013 the school will be renamed the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine.
The school is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) and by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
The school has expanded its class size in recent years, with 135 students in the class of 2013 and 150 students in the class of 2014. The school also offers combination degrees including the: D.O./M.P.H., D.O./J.D., D.O./M.S., and D.O./Ph.D.
The school has a close affiliation with the 600-bed Kennedy Health System, which was formed by the merger of three separate osteopathic hospitals, Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, a tertiary, 437-bed hospital in Camden, New Jersey.
UMDNJ-SOM has one of the largest graduate medical education programs in the United States. The university offers several post graduate residency and fellowship positions through affiliate hospitals including: endocrinology, cardiology, critical care, gastroenterology, nephrology, infectious disease, and many other specialties.
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine - Kennedy / Lourdes Medical Center Hospitals
- Family Medicine - Christ Hospital
- General Psychiatry
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine / Emergency Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM)/Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine (NMM) +1*
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Otolaryngology / Facial Plastic Surgery
- Krueger, PM; Dane, P; Slocum, P; Kimmelman, M (June 2009). "Osteopathic clinical training in three universities.". Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges 84 (6): 712–7. PMID 19474543.
- "University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-School of Osteopathic Medicine". American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Best Medical Schools Specialty Rankings: Geriatrics". UMDNJ. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Jarrett Renshaw and Kelly Heyboer (June 28, 2012). "N.J. lawmakers pass bill for Rutgers-Rowan-UMDNJ merger". New Jersey On-Line LLC. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Phil Davis (Feb 13 2013). "Rowan extends new president's contract through 2017; expands Rutgers-Rowan board". New Jersey On-Line LLC. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Combined Degree Programs". University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine. 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2012.
- "Graduate Medical Education". University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. Retrieved 17 May 2012.