Trolleybuses in Portsmouth
|Portsmouth trolleybus system|
|Preserved Portsmouth trolleybus at the Milestones Museum, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 2006|
|Locale||Portsmouth, Hampshire, England|
|Open||4 August 1934|
|Close||27 July 1963|
|Operator(s)||Portsmouth Corporation Transport|
The Portsmouth trolleybus system once served the city of Portsmouth, Hampshire, England. Opened on 4 August 1934 , it gradually replaced the Portsmouth tramway network; the last trams ran on 10 November 1936.
By the standards of the various now-defunct trolleybus systems in the United Kingdom, the Portsmouth system was a medium-sized one, with a total of nine routes, and a maximum fleet of 100 trolleybuses. It was closed on 27 July 1963 . The former trolleybus routes were replaced by diesel bus services.
See also↑Jump back a section
- Joyce, J.; King, J. S.; and Newman, A. G. (1986). British Trolleybus Systems, pp. 116–120. London: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0-7110-1647-X.
- Short, Peter. "Former UK systems". British Trolleybus Society. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- Gould, Peter. "Portsmouth Corporation Transport". Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Zebedee, John (30 November 2010). "A List of Preserved Trolleybuses in the UK". British Trolleybus Society. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- Brown, Ron (2010). Portsmouth Transport. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK: Amberley Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4456-0136-6.
- Cox, Barry (2001). Portsmouth Trolleybuses. Midhurst, West Sussex, UK: Middleton Press. ISBN 978-1-901706-73-4.
- Janes, D A P; Funnell, R G (1969). Trolleybuses of Portsmouth. Reading, Berkshire, UK: Reading Transport Society. ISBN 0-901792-00-4.
Media related to Trolleybuses in Portsmouth at Wikimedia Commons
- National Trolleybus Archive
- British Trolleybus Society, based in Reading
- National Trolleybus Association, based in London
|This bus-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This England-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|