Towers Hall (Georgia Tech)
|Donigan D. Towers Hall|
|Location||Atlanta, Georgia, USA|
|Colors||Blue & Gold|
|Website||Towers Hall Site|
Towers Residence Hall is an all male residence hall in the Georgia Tech Freshman Experience located on the east side of campus. Towers is dedicated to Donigan Dean Towers.
Towers Residence Hall originally cost $481,000 to construct and was designed by architects Bush-Brown, Gailey, & Heffernan. It was built in 1947 by contractor J. A. Jones.
In Fall 2006, Towers hall housed the infamous "triples", which was a project that put three residents into a two man room. Certain pieces of furniture were not provided to the third resident as to accommodate a third bed. When spaces became available in other parts of campus, the third resident was moved elsewhere.
Towers is an archrival to neighbor dorm Glenn Hall. Glenn and Towers compete in an annual "Battle for the Quad" in which the winner determines the name of the greenspace located between the two structures. Towers had held the rights to the quad since Spring 2007 until Spring 2009, when Glenn finally won. Towers won in Spring 2010 and defended their title in Spring 2011. Following the pattern of two year wins for Towers and one for Glenn, the rites were given back to Glenn in Spring 2012.
Towers Hall also manages to field competitive teams outside of the interhall rivalry. Towers is always a strong competitor in the Mini 500 and the only Freshman Experience Residence Hall to win the men's division since FE's first year of 1992.
While the idea of a Towers mascot had been considered multiple years with such incarnations as a Spartan and a Chubacabra (an animal that preys on goats, the mascot of rival Glenn Hall). Residents of Towers have most recently been referred to as the Knights of Towers. Knights were chosen based on the qualities of strength, bravery, physical and mental fortitude, and chivalry.
- "Towers Building Information". Georgia Tech Capital Planning and Space Management. Retrieved 2007-06-11.
- Guyton, Andrew (2007-06-29). "Ramblin' Wreck drives on". The Technique. Retrieved 2007-08-22.
- "Campus haunted house scares students". Retrieved 2007-10-30.[dead link]
- Stephenson, James (2006-08-25). "Housing moves 150 dorm rooms to triples". The Technique. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- "OUR VIEWS Consensus Opinion: Three is a crowd". The Technique. 2006-08-25. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- Venkataraman, Ranganath (2007-11-17). "Students continue to live in triple dorms". The Technique. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- "OUR VIEWS Consensus Opinion". The Technique. 2007-03-09. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-06-10.
- "RHA Legislative Council Meeting". Archived from the original on 2007-02-23. Retrieved 2007-06-11.
- "Residence Life Spotlight - Towers Hall". Georgia Tech Housing.