The Under Dog and Other Stories
|The Under Dog and Other Stories|
Dust-jacket illustration of the first US edition
|Publisher||Dodd, Mead and Company|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover & Paperback)|
|Preceded by||They Came to Baghdad|
|Followed by||Mrs McGinty's Dead|
It contains works from the early days of Christie's career, all featuring Hercule Poirot. All the stories were published in British and American magazines between 1923 and 1926. The title story appeared in book form in England for the first time in the 1960 collection, The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding. The other stories were to appear again in 1974 in the British and American collections, Poirot's Early Cases.
List of stories
- 1951, Dodd Mead and Company (New York), 1951, Hardback, 248 pp
- 1955, Pocket Books (New York), Paperback, 164 pp
- 1965, Dell Books, Paperback, 192 pp, (Dell number 9228)
First publication of stories
- The Under Dog was first published in the US in Volume 8, Number 6 of Mystery Magazine dated April 1, 1926. It was published in the UK in the October 1926 edition of The London Magazine and then in book form in 2 New Crime Stories, published by The Reader's Library in September 1929 (the other story in the volume was Blackman's Wood by E. Phillips Oppenheim) and then in the Collins Crime Club collection The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (1960).
All the remaining stories in the collection were first published in the US in the monthly Blue Book Magazine with uncredited illustrations as follows:
- The Affair at the Victory Ball: September 1923 - Volume 37, Number 5
- The King of Clubs: November 1923 - Volume 38, Number 1
- The Plymouth Express: January 1924 - Volume 38, Number 3 (under the title The Plymouth Express Affair). The plot was later reworked as the novel The Mystery of the Blue Train (1928).
- The Market Basing Mystery: May 1925 - Volume 41, Number 1
- The Submarine Plans: July 1925 - Volume 41, Number 3
- The Adventure of the Clapham Cook: September 1925 - Volume 41, Number 5 (under the title The Clapham Cook).
- The Cornish Mystery: October 1925 - Volume 41, Number 6
- The Lemesurier Inheritance: November 1925 - Volume 42, Number 1
- American Tribute to Agatha Christie
- The English Catalogue of Books. Vol XII (A-L: January 1926 – December 1930). Kraus Reprint Corporation, Millwood, New York, 1979 (page 316)
- The Under Dog and Other Stories at the official Agatha Christie website
|This short story-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|