The Ring (1952 film)
|Directed by||Kurt Neumann|
|Produced by||Frank King
|Written by||Irving Shulman|
|Music by||Herschel Burke Gilbert|
|Editing by||Bruce B. Pierce|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release date(s)||September 26, 1952|
|Running time||1 hour. 19 minutes|
The Ring is an 1952 American Boxing - Drama film directed by Kurt Neumann and is based on an Irving Shulman´s novel. It tells the story of a Mexican American who becomes a boxer to gain reputation in the U.S. and be respected by the anglosphere white majority. The film is shot in various locations in Los Angeles. The film is basically a look at the institutionalized bigotry.
The film focuses on the story of a young Mexican-American named Tommy (Lalo Rios) resident in Los Angeles´s neighborhood. He feels unable to progress in American society, dominated by white Anglophones. Therefore, to achieve popularity in United States, he decides to become a boxer, thus achieving fame and honor. However, when he believes he has earned the respect of the "Anglos", he discovers that they are only interested in his reputation, because they still consider him an outsider because of their ancestry and skin colour. Only two white men treat him decently: his manager Pete (Gerald Mohr) and trainer Freddy (Robert Osterloh). However, they also have a personal interest in him. The manager manages to end to Tommy´s work due to disappointment that he feel by to unconditional love that the young begins to feel for Lucy (Rita Moreno), the daughter of Punch-Drunk bum.
The Ring is important because it is one of the first films in which discrimination against Mexicans and Chicanos are honestly presented in Hollywood. Including discrimination against young people "Pachucos" characters in the forties.
Reception↑Jump back a section
- http://cine.estamosrodando.com/filmoteca/the-ring-1952/criticas/ Cine: Estamos rodando (in Spanish Cinema: We are rolling
- http://www.answers.com/topic/the-ring The Ring: Information from Answers.com (Retrieved July 11, 2011 to 21:40 pm.
- http://cinelatinoamericano.org/biblioteca/assets/docs/documento/524.pdf [PDF] 1968-1978 El desarrollo del cine chicano* cinelatinoamericano (In spanish: The development of Mexican cinema* Latin cinema. Publicated for Jesús Treviño
- http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1070261-ring/ Rotten Tomatoes
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045091/ The Ring (1952) - IMDb
|This 1950s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|