The Pink Panther Theme
|"The Pink Panther Theme"|
"The Pink Panther Theme" cover
|Song by Henry Mancini from the album The Pink Panther|
"The Pink Panther Theme" is an instrumental composition by Henry Mancini written as the theme for the 1963 film The Pink Panther and subsequently nominated for the 1964 Academy Award for Best Original Score. The cartoon character created for the film's opening credits by David DePatie and Friz Freleng was animated in time to the tune. The tenor saxophone solo was played by Plas Johnson.
Use in other media
- A variation of "The Pink Panther Theme" performed by Hollywood Studio Orchestra was used in the film Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle as the background music at a burlesque club.
- The original theme by Henry Mancini was used in the recurrente sketch "Los Caquitos" from the Mexican sitcom "Chespirito" as the theme to Ramón Valdés' character "Peterete".
- From 1976 until 1993, it was used in the pricing game "Safe Crackers" on the U.S. game show The Price Is Right. The theme was played as the doors opened to reveal the game set, and again as "think music" while the contestant played the game.
- In the 5th season of Moonlighting it is used in the episode "Shirts and Skins."
- In the film Ice Princess, it is used as the music for the character Nikki's figure-skating routine.
- In the Indonesian comedy film Warkop (Warung Kopi) it is used as the theme song with Indonesian comedian group Warkop. This song was used until 1994 with last film titled Pencet Sana Pencet Sini.
- In season 7 (2008) of Dancing with the Stars, Kim Kardashian and her professional dance partner Mark Ballas did a Foxtrot to "The Pink Panther Theme" in week 1.
- In season 13 (2011) of Dancing with the Stars, J.R. Martinez and his professional dance partner Karina Smirnoff did a Foxtrot to "The Pink Panther Theme" in week 4.
- On the radio station 98fm (Dublin, Ireland) a variation of "The Pink Panther Theme" was used for "The Secret Sound of The City."
- In 2010, an Iranian website used the theme as the musical background for a cartoon themed site that claims that "the killing of 6 million Jews in the Second World War known as the Holocaust was a sheer lie."
- In 2011 the German right wing terror group National Socialist Underground used the theme and figure of Pink Panther for a propaganda DVD promoting the racially-motivated murders committed by members of the group.  In 2012 this was referenced by attendees of a right wing street protest in Munich, using loudspeakers to air the theme as background for their protest. 
- The theme is also heard briefly in the opening sequence of the 2012 film Battleship when slacker Alex Hopper tried to impress Samantha Shane by getting her a chicken burrito while sneaking into a closed grocery store.
In the 1978 film Revenge of the Pink Panther, the theme, and much of the soundtrack from this entry in the series, draw heavily from the "disco" trends of the late 1970s. The theme itself was reworked to include a more dancy bassline, electric piano, and guitar solo. A similar thing was done for 1983's Curse of the Pink Panther, where it had more electronic sounds incorporated.
The Tibo Toussaint Orchestra perform a version on the 1988 album Sound of Movies: 20 Great Themes.
In the 1993 film Son of the Pink Panther, the theme was rearranged and performed by Bobby McFerrin in the opening titles. This version was unique in being the only version to be done in the style of acapella.
A tango version of the theme is a standard part of Cuarteto Almagro's repertoire as "Pantera Tanguera." It was released on their album "Hemisferios" in 2003.
During a recorded concert by The Brian Setzer Orchestra (featured in The Brian Setzer Orchestra: The Ultimate Collection) while playing a version of "Stray Cat Strut," the band slows down and plays "The Pink Panther Theme."
Guns N' Roses guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal used the music as his solo during the band's Chinese Democracy 2009/10 Tour.
- "Sound of Movies: 20 Great Themes", answers.com, http://www.answers.com/topic/sound-of-movies-20-great-themes-1988-album-by-allen-toussaint-orchestra
- "At The Movies overview". Allmusic.com.
- "Dave Koz's Secret Symphony Gig". SmoothVibes.com.