|This article is substantially duplicated by a piece in an external publication. Please do not flag this article as a copyright violation of the following source:
Web Services are not "Utility Computing"
There is some confusion in the products / spam listed here. It is my understanding that with Cloud Computing it is the actual computing services that are being offered. The company sells you CPU time to run whatever programs you want to run.
Cloud computing is different from web services. With Web Services, the web server is simple responding to a specifically formatted request with a specifically formatted reply. Web Services are standard client-server model, not capable of generic computing. Therefore I am removing links to pages dealing with web services.—The preceding unsigned comment was added by GreatTurtle (talk • contribs).
- I disagree. Utility computing is being used in the industry to refer to any on-demand computing resource that is offered by a pay system that is usage based (whether that is infrastructure or an application). Salesforce.com is frequently cited as one of the notable early companies that offer a Utility Computing service, and their offering is entirely a web-based service. -- Bovineone 05:25, 28 May 2007 (UTC)
"Virtual organization" sounds like a buzzword to me. I'm not sure it is being used correctly here. -- Beland 04:14, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
Google and Apple Partnering on Cloud Computing?
watch the following scenes of the movie at http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid452319854?bctid=958522224
3:13 - 4:55
6:06 - 6:15
7:08 - 8:08
Are Google and Apple partnering on cloud computing??? (!)
There are possibly inappropriate external links. Instead, please use these documents as references, if appropriate, and revise the article to match what reliable sources are saying.
- Cloud Computing vs Utility Computing Cnet, March 2008
- Tech Target: DEFINITION - Utility computing
- eWeek.com: Articles on Utility Computing
- A Multics based definition
- IBM Systems Journal - Vol. 43, No. 1, 2004 - Utility Computing
- Technical documents
- Australian GRIDS Lab's Report on - Utility Computing and Global Grids
- Describing the Elephant: The Different Faces of IT as Service