Swartland Local Municipality
|— Local municipality —|
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Tijmen van Essen (DA)|
|• Total||3,707 km2 (1,431 sq mi)|
|• Density||30.7/km2 (80/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||18.3%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||SAST (UTC+2)|
Swartland Municipality is a municipality located in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. Malmesbury is the seat of the municipality. As of 2007, it had a population of 77,524. Its municipality code is WC015.
The municipality has a total area of 3,692 square kilometres (1,425 sq mi).
|Place||Code||Population||Most spoken language|
|The Grotto Bay||10514||69||English|
|Remainder of the municipality||10513||20,866||Afrikaans|
- Bergrivier Local Municipality (northeast)
- Drakenstein Local Municipality, Cape Winelands District Municipality (east)
- City of Cape Town (south)
- Saldanha Bay Local Municipality (northwest)
The municipality also borders the Atlantic Ocean on the west.
The municipal council consists of twenty-three members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Twelve councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in twelve wards, while the remaining eleven are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 the Democratic Alliance (DA) obtained a majority of fifteen seats on the council.
|African National Congress||14,056||27.9||1||5||6|
|Congress of the People||2,117||4.2||0||1||1|
|The People's Independent Civic Organisation||955||1.9||0||1||1|
|African Christian Democratic Party||594||1.2||0||0||0|
|Freedom Front Plus||293||0.6||0||0||0|
- "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by municipalities, age group, gender and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011, Municipalities, household size by population group of head of the household". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Table: Census 2011 by municipalities,language, gender and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "Community Survey, 2007: Basic Results Municipalities" (PDF). Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Swartland Local Municipality". Municipal Demarcation Board. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Swartland". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Swartland". Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Political composition of councils". Western Cape Department of Local Government. August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
|This Western Cape location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|