St. Dominic's Church (Bronx, New York)
|The Church of St. Dominic|
St. Dominic's Church in Van Nest
|Architectural style||Romanesque Revival|
|Town or city||Van Nest, Bronx, New York City|
|Country||United States of America|
|Construction started||May 31, 1925|
|Structural system||Brick masonry|
|Design and construction|
|Client||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York|
|Architect||Anthony J. DePace of the firm DePace & Juster|
The Church of St. Dominic is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1739 Unionport Road, Van Nest, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1927. The Romanesque Revival was built 1925 to the designs of Bronx-native architect Anthony J. DePace of the firm DePace & Juster. In May 2011, two of the three bells were removed in order to service the wooden supports which were waterlogged and had seepage problems. The goal is to replace the wooden supports and return the bells to their original location. The expected restoration cost of the bells is estimated at $30,000.
The parish school was among one of 27 slated to be closed by Archbishop Dolan in the Archdiocese of New York as announced on 11 January 2011. The school, after 59 years was closed at the end of June 2011 resulting in its student body having to transfer to other local Catholic schools.
- Twomey, Bill (January 21, 2010). "Do You Remember? St. Dominic's Church was established as a National Italian Parish". The Bronx Times Reporter. p. 48.
- O'Shaughnessy, Patrice (May 19, 2011). "Bells toll for school, but ring for church". The New York Daily News. p. 31. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Weisbrod, Bill (May 31, 2011). "St. Dominic's Church Set To Recieve(sic) Bell Repairs". The Bronx Times Reporter. p. 27. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Alice McQuillan, "New York Archdiocese to Close 27 Schools," NBC New York, 11 January 2011 (Accessed 7 February 2011)
- Archdiocese of New York, "RECONFIGURATION COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS REGARDING “AT-RISK” SCHOOLS ACCEPTED BY ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK," Official Press Release, 11 January 2011 (Accessed 7 February 2011)
- Lestch, Corinne (July 1, 2011). "St. Dominic school staff and students bid farewell to Bronx parish school". New York Daily News. p. 42. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
|This article about a New York City building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|