Solar power in Belgium
The exploitation of Solar power is on the rise in Belgium. In 2011 the installed capacity expanded to almost 2 GWp, nearly all of it was grid connected. Belgium's 1812 MWp of photovoltaics produced an estimated 1282 GWh of electricity in 2011.
The bulk of photovoltaic capacity is installed in the Flemish Region (88%), the remaining 12% is found mostly in the Walloon Region. The smaller Brussels-Capital Region had an installed capacity of 7 MWp at the end of 2011.
Installed capacity of solar power has increased drastically since 2007. During 2009 the amount of solar installations quadrupled from 16,000 to 65,000. Residential and small installations had a combined power of about 220 MWp. In December 2009, there were 35,500 solar power installations in the Flemish region, 17,000 in the Walloon region and 7,000 in the Brussels Capital Region. The number of installations in the Flemish region in particular was expanding rapidly at that time due to a favourable support measure expiring at the end of the year.
|Installed capacity (MWp)|
|Year||Antwerp||Limburg||East Flanders||Flemish Brabant||West Flanders||Total|
Towards 2011, it became clear that Flemish subsidies for solar panels had a significant impact on the cost of electricity of households without a photovoltaic installation. An added cost of up to 148 EUR is charged annually. Flemish minister for Energy Freya van den Bossche admitted that subsidies were too high, especially for large-scale installations. The guaranteed minimum price for electricity produced was reduced. For small photovoltaic installations(less than 1 MW) it was reduced from 330 EUR per MWh to 250 EUR per MWh by January 2012 with the goal of reaching renewable energy targets at a reasonable cost. This resulted in a rally which caused the number of installations to almost double from 20,514 to 37,355 in 2011. The minimum price will be lowered further to 93 EUR per MWh from 2013 onwards.
In December 2009, Katoen Natie announced that they will install 800,000 m² of solar panels in various places, including Antwerp. It is expected that the installed solar power in the Flemish Region will be increased by 25%, when finished. That will be the largest installation in Europe. The installation produces about 35 GWh yearly. The total cost will be 166 million euros.
- Photovoltaic Barometer 2012
- Photovoltaic Barometer 2010
- Photovoltaic Barometer 2011
- "Het geïnstalleerde PV-vermogen in Vlaanderen, Wallonië en Brussel" (in nl). architectura.be. 15/2/2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Market growth of solar power in Flanders
- Feiten en tendenzen 2009
- Le nombre de panneaux solaires explose
- 50.000 Vlaamse gezinnen hebben zonnepanelen eind 2009
- Energy regulator's bi-yearly statistics on installations receiving green certificates: mid-2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006
- Dossier zonnepanelen, nieuwsblad.be]
- "Vlaamse regering past steun voor groene stroom aan" (in nl). freyavandenbossche.be. 10/12/2010.
- Antwerpen wil 2.500 m² zonnepanelen plaatsen op stadsgebouwen
- Leuven plaatst zonnepanelen op 4 stadsgebouwen
- Katoen Natie heeft grootste installatie zonnepanelen in Europa
- België heeft grootste installatie zonnepanelen van Europa
- High-speed Euro train gets green boost from two miles of solar panels
- Belgium launches Europe’s first solar train