Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
|Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits|
|Greatest hits album by Simon & Garfunkel|
|Released||June 14, 1972|
|Recorded||March 1964 – November 1969|
|Producer||Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Roy Halee|
|Simon & Garfunkel chronology|
The album was a mix of original studio recordings and four previously unreleased live recordings. The album's minimalist packaging does not specifically date the latter; however, the live versions of "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" and "Kathy's Song" included on Greatest Hits were also included on the 2008 album Live 1969. The liner notes to Live 1969 state that these two songs were both recorded at a November 1969 concert in St. Louis, Missouri. According to the liner notes from Collected Works, however, the version of "Kathy's Song" was taken from a 1968 concert in Vermont.
In a 1975 BBC Radio 1 interview, Roy Halee identified this version of "The 59th Street Bridge Song" as being from Simon & Garfunkel's 1970 performance at Carnegie Hall, "the last concert they did together" (prior to their disbanding later in 1970). A live version of "Homeward Bound" was also included on the album.
The remaining ten studio songs comprise nine singles released between 1965 and 1972, "America" being issued as a single several years after its appearance as a track on the Bookends album, and one album track, "Bookends" (without its parent song "Old Friends").
All but "America" and "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" made the Top Ten, with the latter peaking at #11, and "Mrs. Robinson" topped the chart aided by its appearance in Mike Nichols' hit movie The Graduate. "The Sound of Silence" and "Bridge over Troubled Water" both peaked at #1 as singles in their studio versions, and "The Boxer" peaked as a single at #7.
|Rolling Stone||(favorable) |
Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits peaked on the U.S. albums chart at #5. On the UK Album Chart, it was a #2 hit. The album has proven a long and durable seller, currently being certified for 14 million units sold in the U.S. alone. It is easily their best-selling album in the U.S., and holds the record in the U.S. for the best-selling album by a duo.
All songs by Paul Simon unless otherwise noted.
- "Mrs. Robinson" – 3:51
- "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (live) – 2:25
- "The Boxer" – 5:08
- "The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (live) – 1:50
- "The Sound of Silence" – 3:07
- "I Am a Rock" – 2:52
- "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" (Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel) – 3:09
Charts and certifications
Sales and certifications
Personnel↑Jump back a section
- Allmusic Review
- Rolling Stone Review
- "Canadian album certifications – Simon and Garfunkel – Greatest Hits". Music Canada.
- "Finnish album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "French album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits" (in French). InfoDisc. Select SIMON & GARFUNKEL and click OK
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Simon & Garfunkel; 'Greatest Hits')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Gold Disc Award 1979". IFPI. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Gold Disc Award Criteria". IFPI. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-10-15. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Simon & Garfunkel; 'Greatest Hits')". Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Greatest Hits in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Simon & Garfunkel – Greatest Hits". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH