Copley at the July 2009 San Diego Comic-Con International
27 November 1973 |
Pretoria, South Africa
|Occupation||Actor, producer, director|
Sharlto Copley (born 27 November 1973) is a South African producer, actor, and director who has produced and co-directed short films which have appeared at the Cannes Film Festival, as well as commercials and music videos. He is perhaps best known for playing the roles of Wikus van de Merwe in the Oscar-nominated science fiction film District 9 and Howling Mad Murdock in the 2010 adaptation of The A-Team.
Copley was born in Pretoria and educated at St. Andrew's Preparatory School in Grahamstown and Redhill School in Morningside, Johannesburg. Sharlto resides alternately in Cape Town and Los Angeles. His father is Dr. Bruce Copley, a former university professor, currently a holistic educator/entertainer and multi-instrumentalist. His brother, Donovan, is the lead-singer of the successful Cape Town band Hotwater, whose music has been featured on BBC World and whose song 'Bushfire' was used in advertisements by the Italian shoe manufacturer Primigi. Copley is currently in a relationship with model/actress Tanit Phoenix.
Acting, producing, and directing career
A year after leaving high school, Copley first met director Neill Blomkamp; Copley was 22 and Blomkamp was 16, and Copley provided Blomkamp with use of computers at his production company to assist the company with pitches for various projects and allow Blomkamp to further pursue his passion and talent for 3D animation and design.
Copley starred in Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp's District 9 where he plays the leading role of Wikus van der Merwe, an Afrikaner bureaucrat assigned to relocate a race of extraterrestrial creatures unexpectedly stranded on Earth, referred to as "prawns", from District 9, a military-guarded slum in Johannesburg, South Africa, to an internment camp outside the city. He improvised all of his dialogue in the film.
In 2010, Copley produced, wrote and directed an insert for the South African Music Awards called "Wikus and Charlize", featuring fellow South African star Charlize Theron. The clip features Copley as Wikus attempting to track down Charlize in Hollywood to help him present the Award for Best Afrikaans Pop album.
Copley then starred alongside Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in the feature film adaptation of The A-Team, which was produced by Ridley Scott and Tony Scott. Copley starred as H. M. Murdock (originally played by Dwight Schultz in the TV series) and adopted a Southern American accent for the role. He also imitated other accents, including Scottish, English, Australian, and his native South African. Schultz praised Copley's performance and stated that Copley was the only actor true to his character.
Copley will star in Elysium, along with Matt Damon and Jodie Foster an upcoming science-fiction film written and directed by Neill Blomkamp. Despite similarities with District 9, Blomkamp has confirmed it will not be a sequel. Copley was cast in Men in Black 3 as "a fast-talking Yoda type alien" but later left the project.
Copley appears in The Europa Report - the story of a crew of international astronauts who are sent on a private mission to Jupiter's fourth moon.
He was also cast as the male lead opposite Angelina Jolie in Maleficent. Maleficent is Disney's $200 million Sleeping Beauty origin story, that tells the story from the perspective of Maleficent - the queen who casts the spell on sleeping beauty.
|2005||Alive in Joburg||Sniper||Also producer|
|2009||District 9||Wikus van der Merwe|
|2010||The A-Team||Capt. H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdock|
|Elysium||Kruger||Post-Production; scheduled for release August 9, 2013|
|Oldboy||Adrian Pryce||Post-Production; scheduled for release October 11, 2013|
|2014||Maleficent||King Stefan||Post-Production; scheduled for release July 2, 2014|
|2010||WWE Raw||Himself – Guest host||3-Hour Viewer's Choice Raw
Promoting The A-Team
- 2010 "MTV Movie Awards Nominees Announced; New Category for Horror".
- Marks, Lisa (2010-07-26). "Interview with A-Team star Sharlto Copley". The Scotsman. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Edmunds, Gayle (2010-08-20). "A-Team's Sharlto Copley soars". City Press. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Bruce Copley - Holistic Learning Adds Value" SKF Sweden Evolution Business and Technology Magazine article, 7 June 2006
- Hotwater Oficial Site
- Hotwater with Donovan Copley
- Sharlto and Neill sitdown interview Part 1 on YouTube
- "District 9 director Neill Blomkamp". A.V. Club. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- IGN Summer Movie Awards Favorite Hero
- IGN Movies Best Performance of 2009
- "Wikus From District 9 Hunting Down a Different Beast - Charlize Theron!". DreadCentral.
- http://www.zimbio.com/Quinton+%27Rampage%27+Jackson/articles/b_3a4RynGWV/Team+starring+Liam+Neeson+Bradley+Cooper+Jessica Sharlto in A-Team
- Schultz, Dwight (22 June 2010). "Dwight's opinion about the A-team movie". Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- Child, Ben (13 December 2010). "Matt Damon in talks to star in Neill Blomkamp's Elysium". The Guardian (London).
- "'District 9' Director Neill Blomkamp Drops A Few Hints About His Next Project".
- Sharlto Copley will play Oldboy villain