||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|Born||Santiago Segura Silva
17 July 1965
|Occupation||film director, screenwriter, producer and actor|
Santiago was born in the Carabanchel neighbourhood in Madrid. After studying Arts at the Complutense University of Madrid, he decided to pursue a career as a film-maker and in 1989 he directed the short Relatos de medianoche with a budget of 7000 pesetas (around US$50). In 1992 he went on to direct his first professional short "Evilio", followed with "Perturbado" in 1993.
In 1993 he had a small role in Alex de la Iglesia's film Acción mutante. Two years later he starred in El día de la Bestia, from the same director and that role made him famous in Spain. In 1998 he directed the film that brought him to stardom, Torrente: El brazo tonto de la ley (1998), in which he also acted as the lead character José Luis Torrente, a sleazy crime-fighter. Its popularity led to a sequel (Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella) and a computer game (Torrente: El juego). Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella made €22,838,500 at the Spanish box office, becoming the highest grossing Spanish film of all time. Torrente 3: El Protector, the third film in the series, was released in September 2005. Its advertising campaign parodied Batman Begins, using the phrase "Torrente Acabado" ("Torrente Finished"). Although he declared Torrente 3: El Protector would be the last of the Torrente series, Torrente 4 was released in 2011. In 2010, he played the title role in El gran Vázquez, based on the life of the legendary cartoonist/wastrel Manuel Vázquez Gallego.
He has since made his way into American culture by making appearances in movies such as Hellboy, Perdita Durango, Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London, Hellboy 2 and Blade II. He also was the dubbing actor for Jack Black's role Eddie Riggs in the European Spanish release of the video game Brütal Legend.
Because of his success, Santiago Segura has become a producer. He owns Amiguetes Entertainment company and has produced Promedio Rojo (featuring Nicolás López).
- Relatos de .anoche (1989) (short)
- Eduardo (1990) (short)
- Evilio (1992) (short)
- El cobrador del gas sólo llama una vez (1992) (short)
- Acción mutante (1993)
- Perturbado (1993) (short)
- Evilio vuelve (1994) (short)
- El día de la Bestia (1995)
- Killer Barbys (1996)
- Perdita Durango (1997)
- Torrente: El brazo tonto de la ley (1998) (actor, writer and director)
- La niña de tus ojos (1998)
- Muertos de risa (1999)
- París-Tombuctú (1999)
- El corazón del guerrero (2000)
- Sabotage! (2000)
- Obra maestra (2000)
- Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella (2001) (actor, writer, director and producer)
- Chica de Río (2001)
- Blade II (2002)
- Asesino en serio (2002) (co-producer)
- Beyond Re-Animator (2003)
- El oro de Moscú (2003)
- Tiptoes (2003)
- Una de zombis (2003) (actor and producer)
- Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004)
- Hellboy (2004)
- Isi Disi (2004)
- Promedio rojo (2004) (producer)
- Dí que sí (2004)
- El asombroso mundo de Borjamari y Pocholo (2004) (actor and producer)
- Torrente 3: El protector (2005) (actor, writer, director and producer)
- Isi & Disi, alto voltaje (2006)
- Asterix at the Olympic Games (2008)
- King Shot (2009)
- A Sad Trumpet Ballad (2010)
- Torrente 4 Lethal Crisis (2011)
- Jack and Jill (2011)
- Pa' Habbo (2011)
- "Santiago Segura". NNDB. Soylent Communications. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Rolfe, Pamela (14 March 2011). "Santiago Segura's 'Torrente 4: Lethal Crisis' Breaks Box-Office Record in Spain". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 July 2011.