Salem Junction railway station
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2010)|
Indian Railway Station
|Address||Junction Main road, Salem, Tamilnadu, India|
|Elevation||288 m above sea level|
|Connections||Goods terminal, Taxi Stand, Satellite City Bus station|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Fare zone||Southern Railways|
|Passengers ()||10,000 per day on average|
Salem Junction is a railway junction station located in Suramangalam, a former municipality about 5 km from Salem. This area was integrated with Salem when the corporation was formed in 1994.
Salem Junction is an important railway junction in the Southern Railway and is the headquarters of the Salem Railway Division, which is the biggest division in the Southern Railway. Salem has five railway routes merging at the junction, thus playing an important transit point in Tamilnadu. Many Trains are passing through Salem Junction and Direct Trains are available for the following destinations as mentioned below (along with the routes):
|Trains passing through Salem Junction
(Towards / Via)
|Direct Trains to Major Cities|
(via) Karuppur Station
|3.Towards Mettur Dam
(via) Omalur Junction
(via) Salem Town
Apart from these railway routes, there is a freight line from Salem to Steel plant.
Amenities available at Salem Railway Junction are Reservation counters in the 1st floor of entrance building, Unreserved ticket counters, Car parking, Satellite bus station, (for buses to places within city and north west suburbs), Two Wheeler parking, Auto stand, ATMs, Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian restaurants, Book stall, snacks, AC waiting hall, non-AC waiting hall, rest rooms, railway lodges, and tea stalls. Soon Salem Junction is going to have support for physically challenged passengers.
There is a subway to connect the Platform no. 3, 4 and foot over bridge to connect platforms 4 & 5. New modern office is going to be constructed. More important is Chennai to Coimbatore via Salem Junction is being improved to two lane rail lines to provide faster transport which is under feasibility study.
Construction of rail yard to operate more originating trains from Salem Junction is under consideration.
Salem Junction comes under "A" category station of Indian railways, Along with Erode Junction.Salem Junction generates more revenue to Salem railway division next to Coimbatore Junction.
- Salem-Karur line is completed and trail run was successful.It connects southern districts with Bangalore route with short distance and is also alternative route for chennai-madurai sector, extra kilo meters and extra hours also reduced and easily connnected to southern districts with northern districts.
- There is a proposal for Salem-Karaikkal new BG line.This route passes via Namakkal–Perambalur–Ariyalur–Jayamkondan-Gangaikondacholapuram and Mayiladuthurai.
- There is a proposal for Salem-Mettur Doubling line, Works are to start up soon.
- Coimbatore-Salem MEMU
- Salem-Katpadi MEMU
- Yeswanthpur-Salem Fast Passenger
- Salem Mettur Dam Passenger
- Salem-Vridhachalam Passenger
Passing Passenger Trains
- Bangalore-Nagore Passenger
- Erode-Jolarpet Passenger
- Erode-Mettur Dam Passenger
Important Trains passing through Salem
- Ahilyanagari Express
- Nilgiri Express (connection to Nilgiri Mountain Railway to Ooty)
- Kerala Express
- Kovai Express
- Intercity Express
- Mysore-Mayiladuthurai Express
- Mysore-Tuticorin Express
- Chennai-Allepey Express
- Trivandrum Mail
- Mangalore Mail
- West Coast Express
- Sabari Express
- Island Express
- Jayanthi Janatha Express
- Dhanbad/Tata-Allepy Express
- Trivandrum Express
- Garib Rath Express
- Millennium Express
- Raptisagar Express
- Guwahathi Express
- Patna Express
- Himsagar Express
- Navyug Express
- Yercaud Express
Demand for Additional Trains
- There is a huge Demand to operate the day train services in Salem-Chennai sector via virudachalam . also demand to operate Chennai central to salem - II class sitting train to reduce cost of travel to passengers. Also there is demand to operate train to south, once the new BG line Salem-Karur opened, there should be one express and two passengers. This line got over and waiting for the inauguration.