Salamander Bay, New South Wales
New South Wales
View from Salamander Bay east towards the mouth of Port Stephens approximately 12 km (7.5 mi) away.
|• Density||569.9/km² (1,476.0/sq mi) [Note 1]|
|Elevation||4.5 m (15 ft)|
|Area||8.5 km² (3.3 sq mi)[Note 2]|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10)|
|• Summer (DST)||AEDT (UTC+11)|
|LGA(s)||Port Stephens Council|
|State/territory electorate(s)||Port Stephens|
Salamander Bay is a suburb of the Port Stephens local government area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia. Named after the adjacent shallow bay, itself named after the Salamander, a convict ship from the Third Fleet, which was the first European vessel to enter Port Stephens (1791), it is a mainly residential suburb with a large shopping centre. At the 2011 census Salamander Bay had a population of 4,844. It is home to Tomaree High School, a TAFE facility and St Phillips Christian College (Port Stephens Campus).
- The density presented is that of the whole suburb. However, only about 3.5 square kilometres (1.35 sq mi), or about 41%, of the suburb is residential in nature. The remainder of the suburb consists mainly of unpopulated scrubland, coastal reserves and beaches. The population density of the residential portion of the suburb is much higher at 1,384 /km2 (3,580 /sq mi).
- Area calculation is based on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Salamander Bay (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Salamander Bay". Land and Property Management Authority - Spatial Information eXchange. New South Wales Land and Property Information. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Suburb Search - Local Council Boundaries - Hunter (HT) - Port Stephens". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Geographical Names Register Extract: Salamander Bay (suburb)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Geographical Names Register Extract: Salamander Bay (Bay)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Port Stephens". New South Wales Electoral Commission. 24 March 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Paterson". Australian Electoral Commission. 19 October 2007. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "Nelson Bay (Nelson Head)". Climate statistics for Australian locations. Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 8 June 2008.
- "History of Port Stephens". Retrieved 10 July 2008. (see "Early development of Port Stephens" section)
Media related to Salamander Bay, New South Wales at Wikimedia Commons
|This Port Stephens Council geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|