Roman Catholic Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin
|Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin
Dioecesis Kildarensis et Leighlinensis
The Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow.
|Country||Republic of Ireland|
|Territory||County Carlow, parts of counties Kildare, Laois, Offaly, Kilkenny, Wicklow and Wexford|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Dublin|
|Area||1,608 sq mi (4,160 km2)|
|Established||United 29 November 1694|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow|
|Patron saint||Kildare: St Brigid and St Conleth
Leighlin: St Lazerian
Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Diarmuid Martin,
Archbishop of Dublin
|Emeritus Bishops||James Moriarty,
Bishop Emeritus of Kildare and Leighlin
The Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, shown in red,
within the Province of Dublin
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin (Irish: Deoise Chill Dara agus Leithghlinn) is a Roman Catholic diocese in eastern Ireland. It is one of six suffragan dioceses in the ecclesiastical province of Dublin and is subject to the Archdiocese of Dublin. On 7th May 2013, the Most Reverend Denis Nulty was appointed bishop-elect of the diocese.
These two dioceses continued to be separate from their foundation until 1678, when, owing to the extreme tenuity of the episcopal revenues, the bishopric of Leighlin was given in commendam by the Holy See to the Bishop of Kildare. The Cathedral Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located in the town of Carlow.
The see is currently Fr Denis Nulty. The previous Ordinary was the Most Reverend James Moriarty who is now bishop emeritus, was appointed by the Holy See on 4 June 2002 and installed in the cathedral on 31 August 2002. He resigned the see on 22 April 2010.
Deaneries and Parishes
|Diocese||Deanery||Parishes or Group Parishes|
Kildare and Leighlin
|Deanery of Borris||Borris
Muine Bheag (Bagenalstown)
|Deanery of Carlow||Arless
|Deanery of Kildare||Allen
|Deanery of Naas||Caragh
Cooleragh & Staplestown
|Deanery of Portarlington||Clonaslee
|Deanery of Portlaoise||Abbeyleix
|Deanery of Tullow||Ballon
See also↑Jump back a section
- Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Archdiocese of Dublin. Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- Kildare and Leighlin - Catholic Encyclopedia article
- Kildare and Leighlin Diocese: The Diocese. Retrieved on 9 September 2009.
- Kildare and Leighlin Diocese: Bishop. Retrieved on 9 September 2009.
- Press Office of the Holy See
- Kildare and Leighlin: Parishes. Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 432. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved on 9 September 2009.
http://www.gcatholic.com/dioceses/country/IE.htm This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company.