Rodolfo Valentin in action
June 22, 1944 |
Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Residence||New York City|
|Employer||Rodolfo Valentin |
Rodolfo Valentin (born June 22, 1944) is a New York City hairdresser and entrepreneur. Beginning his career as a fashion model in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Valentin later emigrated to New York to find work as a hairdresser, eventually opening his own business. He owns three hair salons within the New York City area with products and services that include hair extension, and hair coloring.
Early life and career
Valentin was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The son of Spanish and Italian parents, from an early age he had dreams of becoming a plastic surgeon when he grew up. However Valentin became more interested in his future profession after years of playing the hair dresser to his mother and sister. His aunt, who had studied at a local beauty school in Buenos Aires, would later teach Valentin some of the techniques she had learned. He initially worked as a fashion model.
Moving to Europe, Valentin worked at the side of hair stylist Alexandre de Paris, helping him perform his work in countries such as Spain and Italy. It was around this time that Valentin found a liking for the Five Towns area of Long Island, New York, later claiming “Five Towns is my Beverly Hills”. Renting a studio apartment he would go on to stay in the area for eighteen years.
Upon immigrating to Long Island in 1984, Valentin quickly set about opening his own hair salon. Taking on still current partner Jorge Perez, after just two years he opened Rodolfo Valentin’s salon and spa to the general public. Since then he has expanded his business ventures with the opening of two new salons in the New York area.
Valentin’s patented method of hair extension, the “Hair Infusion”, has been the subject of media coverage, garnering the Hair colouring techniques award, the 2010 Top hair colorists NYC by the New York City Guide, and positive support from the public, in particular being consistently rated 10 out of 10 by the readers of The New York Times Magazine. and named BEST OF CITYSEARCH 2009. rated with 5 gold stars. In 2011, Rodolfo Valentin has been the winner of the "Best Hair Extension Salons" award for his trademarked "Hair Infusion" that is recognized by the press as safe to the natural hair. and the Top Salon NYC award by the "Hair New Era" international beauty guide. It was also recently featured in the book Forget the Facelift by dermatologist Doris J. Day.
At present he lives in his Hewlett Bay Park home which he shares with longtime companion and business partner Jorge Perez, he is also set to appear in a cameo role in the independent film “Sticky Fingers”.
When he was a child Valentin had decided to help those suffering from hair loss due to chemotherapy treatment. His desire to do so arose after seeing the depression his mother (who later died from breast cancer) suffered from after losing her hair. "I promised my mother that I would help everyone with this, and make the perfect piece for chemo patients", he said.
To accomplish this, in 2002 Valentin founded the Sofia's Hair 4 Health foundation which offers free hair pieces for those undergoing chemotherapy treatment. To qualify the person must earn fewer than thirty thousand dollars per year. "Some ladies don't make enough money", he said. "If they make $20,000, they don't make enough money to pay for the prosthesis."
Between one and three people are chosen every month by the organization. Nominations can originate from the person's own application, his or her friends, family members or medical caretakers. Applicants must also currently be under treatment and suffering hair loss due to treatments.
Valentin also helps other charity organizations by donating money to them. He currently supports the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Alzheimer's Association and the Hellenic Times Scholarship Foundation. On October 27, 2011, Rodolfo Valentin has donated 1,000 hair prosthesis to the "Hewlett House 1 in 9". The organization name derivates from the fact that 1 in 9 people living in Long Island NY is being diagnosed with breast cancer. On October 23, 2012, Rodolfo Valentin was named "New Yorker of the Week" as per New York Television Chanel 1. On December 21, 2012, Rodolfo Valentin Long Island Beauty Center has been honored with the #1 Salon Long Island award by longislandbest.net>
- Schiro –, Anne Marie – (November 30, 2007). – "Pulse, Pretty, Quick –". The New York Times –. Retrieved July 31, 2009.
- – "rodolfovalentin.com". Retrieved September 19, 2009.
- "Profile for Rodolfo Valentin". Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- Shalomoff, Rebecca (June 28, 2001). "Fabulous salon has arrived". Herald Community Newspapers. Archived from the original on July 31, 2209. Retrieved May 2, 2007.
- "The Hair Infusion". US Trademark Office. June 12, 2007. Retrieved June 12, 2007.
- President, Frank Commisso (May 2002). "Hair coloring Techniques award". Commco Beauty & Science. Retrieved May 19, 2007.
- "2010 Top hair colorists NYC award". New York City Guide. January 2010. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- Noonan, Molly (2007). "Salons Review". New York Magazine. Retrieved May 2, 2007.
- "Best of Citysearch 2009". Tophaircolorists.com. 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2010.
- "Salons Review". Citysearch. 2009. Retrieved March 14, 2008.
- "Best Hair Extensions Salons". New York City Hair Guide. 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Top Salon NYC". Hair New Era. 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Forget The Facelift – Doris J. Day". Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- Fischler, Marcelle (September 19, 1999). "He uses hair to make your body beautiful". The New York Times. Retrieved July 31, 2009.
- Connor, Tracy (March 3, 2007). "Big Town, Big Heart". New York Daily News. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- Santucci, Christina (April 5, 2007). "Gift of hair from Valentin". The Queens Courier. Retrieved April 26, 2007.
- Jedell, Joan (November 14, 2007). "Silver celebration". Hampton Sheet. Retrieved July 31, 2009.
- "Big greek gala". Hampton Sheet Magazine. September, 2008. Retrieved July 21, 2008.
- CBS, Channel 2 News (October 27, 2011). "Rodolfo Valentin Donates One Thousand Wigs for Cancer Patients". CBS News, Cindy Hsu. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- NY1, Time Warner (October 23, 2012). "Rodolfo Valentin - New Yorker of the Week". NY1 News Television. Retrieved October 23, 2012.
- Best of Long Island Businesses (December 21, 2012). "#1 Salon Long Island Beauty". LongIslandBest.net. Retrieved December 22, 2012.