Roderick Macleod, 4th of Cadboll
Macleod was the Member of Parliament (MP) for Cromartyshire from 1818 to 1820, and for Sutherland from 14 September 1831 until 1837, when he stood down from the House of Commons at the 1837 general election, and ran for the constituency of Inverness Burghs which he represented from 1837 – 21 February 1840.
Macleod was Lord Lieutenant of Cromarty from 1833 until he died. His father lived to be a ripe old age so Macleod did not become head of the family until he was in his late 50s. He died nine years later in March 1853 and was succeeded by his eldest son, Robert Bruce Aeneas (1818-88).
On 10 July 1813 Macleod married Isabella, daughter of William Cunninghame, merchant, of Lainshaw. The had five children: their eldest son was Robert Bruce Aeneas (1818-1888), their younger son was Henry Dunning Macleod (1821-1902), who became a distinguished writer on political economy, and three daughters: Margaret, Elizabeth, and Anna Maria.
- Roderick Macleod was the 4th [Macleod] of Cadboll (National Archive of Scotland staff 2012), and may be referred to as such when an authority needs to identify him from other relatives with similar names.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) , British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.), Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services, p. 606, ISBN 0-900178-26-4
- Fisher, David R. (2009), "MacLeod, Roderick (1786-1853), of Cadboll and Invergordon Castle, Ross and Cromarty", in Fisher, D.R., The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1820-1832 (online ed.), Cambridge University Press
- Fryer, S. E.; Maloney (2004). "Macleod, Henry Dunning (1821–1902)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/34787. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- National Archive of Scotland staff (2012), "Person Code: NA11130, MacLeod of Cadboll (18th-20th century)", Online catalogue: Person search: Single person record, Scottish Archive Network, retrieved December 2012. Endnotes
- Mackenzie, Alexander, The History of the Macleods
- GB232/D63: MacLeod family of Cadboll papers, 1867-1970
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Roderick Macleod
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Robert Bruce Aeneas Macleod
|Member of Parliament for Cromartyshire
Sir James Mackintosh
|Member of Parliament for Sutherland
1831 – 1837
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain, or the Parliament of the United Kingdom, representing a Scottish constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|