Robert M. Hensel
Robert Michael Hensel (b. May 8, 1969) was born with the birth defect known as Spina bifida. He is also a Guinness World Records holder for the longest non-stop wheelie in a wheelchair, covering a total distance of 6.178 miles. As part of setting his record, he raised money for wheelchair ramps throughout Oswego, New York, his hometown.
In 2000, realizing the need to focus more on one's abilities and less on their disabilities, Hensel sought to have a week designated that would bring to light the many talents and accomplishments being made by individuals with disabilities. Due to his efforts, Oswego County passed a motion that year recognizing Oct. 1-7 as Beyond Limitations week.
Awards and honors
- Celebrity Birthday Directory, 5th edition, page 40
- O'Toole, Catie (October 2, 2003). "A Ride Into The Record Book; When It Comes To Wheelchair Wheelies, The Ultimate Can Be Found In The City Of Oswego" (Fee required). Syracuse Post-Standard. Retrieved April 7, 2008.
- Dowty, Douglass (September 29, 2005). "Record Attempt Must Wait; Robert Hensel, Of Oswego, Hurt While Practicing To Break His World Mark For Wheelchair Wheelie Distance." (Fee required). Syracuse Post-Standard. Retrieved April 7, 2008.
- Pierie, Jennika (October 1, 2001). "Poet's Idea Catches On; Beyond Limitations Week, Recognizing The Disabled, Is Inspiration Of Oswego Writer" (Fee required). Syracuse Post-Standard. Retrieved April 8, 2008.
- "Oswego City Man Noted For His Advocacy Work" (Fee required). Syracuse Post-Standard. September 17, 2004. Retrieved April 8, 2008.
- Athletes for Hope Roster
- Yablonski, Steve (May 6, 2008). "Local Man Sets Out On World Record Quest". Oswego County Today. Retrieved May 13, 2008.[dead link]