Rapid River, Michigan
It is situated on the northern end of the Little Bay de Noc at , between the mouths of the Tacoosh and Rapid rivers with the mouth of the Whitefish River just to the east. U.S. Highway 2 passes through Rapid River and joins with U.S. Highway 41 just west of town; the two then run concurrently from Rapid River south to Escanaba. The Rapid River ZIP code is 49878 and also serves areas in the nearby townships in Delta County of Baldwin, Bay de Noc, Brampton, Ensign, Garden, Maple Ridge, Masonville, and Nahma. It also serves a small area in Mathias Township in Alger County
The community was first named Rapid Siding as a stop on the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railroad. The name was recorded as Rapid River when the community was platted in 1887. The community never incorporated as a village.
Rapid River is home to the Rapid River Public Schools, a class D school.
Fire coverage is provided by the Masonville Township Volunteer Fire Department. Emergency Medical Services are provided by the Masonville Township Volunteer EMS service which provide non-transport Basic Life Support services.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rapid River, Michigan
- 49878 5-Digit ZCTA, 498 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- "Actor Shows Loyalty to Home State." Retrieved October 26, 2010.(http://www.escanabathemovie.com/news.htm)
- "ST. IGNACE-SAULT STE. MARIE-IRONWOOD". Indian Trails. January 15, 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language