Protect the Boss
|Protect the Boss|
Promotional poster for Protect the Boss
|Also known as||Defend Your Boss|
|Genre||Romance, Comedy, Action|
|Written by||Kwon Ki-young|
|Directed by||So Jung-hyun|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Executive producer(s)||Choi Moon-suk|
|Running time||Wednesday & Thursday 21:55 (KST)|
|Original channel||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original run||3 August 2011– 29 September 2011|
|Preceded by||City Hunter|
|Followed by||Deep Rooted Tree|
|SBS official website|
Protect the Boss (Hangul: 보스를 지켜라; RR: Boseureul Jikyeora) is a 2011 South Korean workplace romantic comedy television series starring Choi Kang-hee, Ji Sung, Kim Jaejoong of JYJ/DBSK, Wang Ji-hye, and Park Yeong-gyu. It aired in South Korea from August 3 to September 29, 2011 on Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55.
Cha Ji-heon (Ji Sung) is an incredibly immature young man who is useless at his job as a director at DN Group, where the chairman is his father (Park Yeong-gyu). Ji-heon has a longstanding rivalry in work and love with cousin Cha Mu-won (Kim Jaejoong), as Mu-won is a mature, hardworking, and seemingly perfect executive, and the two both have a romantic history with Seo Na-yoon (Wang Ji-hye). Spunky and tough Noh Eun-seol (Choi Kang-hee) is struggling to find full-time work because of her juvenile delinquent record and poor academic background. After giving the hiring directors a piece of her mind during a job interview at DN Group, she is surprised to find herself hired by Mu-won (who was captivated by her interview) to be the secretary to Ji-heon. Determined not to be fired from her first professional job, Eun-seol works diligently at putting up with Ji-heon's childishness and keeping him in check. As their working relationship progresses, they earn each others' trust and friendship, and Eun-seol helps Ji-heon deal with his phobias and prove himself capable of becoming DN Group's successor. Things get more complicated when Ji-heon and Mu-won both fall for Eun-seol, who doesn't want to get mixed up with either of them... or does she?
- Choi Kang-hee as Noh Eun-seol
- Ji Sung as Cha Ji-heon
- Kim Jaejoong as Cha Mu-won
- Wang Ji-hye as Seo Na-yoon
- Park Yeong-gyu as Chairman Cha, Ji-heon's father
- Cha Hwa-yeon as Shin Sook-hee, Mu-won's mother
- Kim Young-ok as Mrs. Song, Ji-heon and Mu-won's grandmother
- Ha Jae-sook as Lee Myung-ran, Eun-seol's best friend
- Jung Kyu-soo as Noh Bong-man, Eun-seol's father
- Kim Hyung-bum as Secretary Kim
- Kim Ha-kyoon as Secretary Jang
- Kim Chung as Hwang Kwan-jang
- Kim Seung-wook as Park Sang-mu
- Lee Hee-jin as Yang Ha-young
- Ahn Nae-sang (cameo)
- Oh Hyun-kyung (cameo)
- Yoon Gi-won (cameo)
|Date||Episode #||TNmS Ratings (%)|
|8/3/2011||1||12.1 (6th)||14.5 (4th)|
|8/4/2011||2||13.4 (4th)||16.3 (4th)|
|8/10/2011||3||15.3 (4th)||18.3 (1st)|
|8/11/2011||4||15.3 (3rd)||17.6 (2nd)|
|8/17/2011||5||15.7 (4th)||19.2 (1st)|
|8/18/2011||6||16.1 (4th)||19.0 (3rd)|
|8/24/2011||7||14.0 (4th)||17.8 (3rd)|
|8/25/2011||8||15.6 (4th)||18.7 (3rd)|
|8/31/2011||9||14.0 (4th)||17.2 (4th)|
|9/1/2011||10||14.5 (4th)||17.5 (3rd)|
|9/7/2011||11||13.2 (5th)||15.5 (5th)|
|9/8/2011||12||13.4 (5th)||16.2 (4th)|
|9/14/2011||13||13.9 (4th)||18.1 (4th)|
|9/15/2011||14||13.3 (5th)||15.8 (5th)|
|9/21/2011||15||13.5 (6th)||16.9 (4th)|
|9/22/2011||16||12.9 (8th)||15.4 (5th)|
|9/28/2011||17||14.1 (4th)||17.1 (4th)|
|9/29/2011||18||14.6 (4th)||18.1 (4th)|
- Track listing
- "우리 그냥 사랑하게 해주세요" (Please let us love) – A Pink
- "잘 알지도 못하면서" – Lyn
- "지켜줄게" (I'll protect you) – Kim Jaejoong
- "묻는다 – 엠스트리트" - M.Street
- "그대만 보여요" (I can only see you) – Yewon of Jewelry and Hwang Kwanghee of ZE:A
- "슬픈 노래는" (Sad song) – Heo Young-saeng
- "너 때문에" – Hyu Woo
- "이제야 알겠어" (Now we know why) – Son Hyun-woo
- "우리 그냥 사랑하게 해주세요" (instrumental)
- "잘 알지도 못하면서" (instrumental)
- "지켜줄게" (instrumental)
- "묻는다" (instrumental)
- "그대만 보여요" (instrumental)
- "슬픈 노래는" (instrumental)
- "너 때문에" (instrumental)
- "이제야 알겠어" (instrumental)
- 2011 SBS Drama Awards
- Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special - Choi Kang-hee
- Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special - Ji Sung
- Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Special - Park Yeong-gyu
- Netizen Popularity Award, Actress - Choi Kang-hee
- Best Couple Award - Ji Sung and Choi Kang-hee
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Kim Young-ok
- Top 10 Stars - Choi Kang-hee
- Top 10 Stars - Ji Sung
- New Star Award - Wang Ji-hye
- New Star Award - Kim Jaejoong
Remake↑Jump back a section
- Han, Yeo-wool (14 September 2011). "Protect the Boss confirmed for 2 more episodes". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (2 August 2011). "Hot-blooded secretary meets clumsy boss in new SBS drama". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hwang, Hyo-jin (28 July 2011). "PREVIEW: SBS TV series Protect the Boss". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (1 October 2011). "Protect the Boss Proves It's Not Just About the Ratings". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Jessica (4 August 2011). "REVIEW: SBS TV series Protect the Boss - 1st Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Jessica (30 September 2011). "REVIEW: SBS TV series Protect the Boss - Final Episode". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, Min-ji (30 September 2011). "Choi Kang Hee Shares Her Feelings About Wrapping Up Protect the Boss". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (6 October 2011). "Interview: Choi Kang Hee, Unaffected By Men and Time". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (14 October 2011). "Interview: Ji Sung Aims for the Far Future". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ga-on (18 October 2011). "INTERVIEW: Actor Ji Sung - Part 1". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ga-on (18 October 2011). "INTERVIEW: Actor Ji Sung - Part 2". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, Min-ji (2 September 2012). "Kim Jae Joong Has Officially Caught the Acting Bug". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Ho, Stewart (27 September 2012). "JYJ Kim Jae Joong's Protect the Boss Voted Most Beloved K-Drama in Japan". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ga-on (31 August 2011). "MY NAME IS: Wang Ji-hye". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to the current day's ratings; select the date from drop down menu". TNmS Ratings (in Korean).
- "Protect the Boss Original Soundtrack info". YesAsia. 12 September 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Park, Hyun-min (12 August 2011). "Kim Jae Joong and Kim Junsu Reign On Top". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, Min-ji (19 August 2011). "Kwang Hee & Ye Won Come Together for Boss OST: I See Only You". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Kyung-nam (7 September 2011). "Brian Sings For Protect the Boss OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Jessica (2 January 2012). "Han Suk-kyu reclaims glory at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Ji Sung, JYJ Kim Jae-joong's Protect the Boss sold to Ukraine". 10Asia. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-12.