|Papacy began||15 January 708|
|Papacy ended||4 February 708|
Syria, Rashidun Caliphate
|Died||4 February 708
Rome, Byzantine Empire
An Assyrian by birth, Sisinnius' father's name was John. The paucity of donations to the papacy during his reign (42 pounds of gold and 310 pounds of silver, a fraction of the personal donations of other contemporary pontiffs) indicate that he was probably not from the aristocracy.
Sisinnius remained pope for just twenty days. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, "although he was so afflicted with gout that he was unable even to feed himself, he is nevertheless said to have been a man of strong character, and to have been able to take thought for the good of the city". Among his few acts as pope was the consecration of a bishop for Corsica. He also ordered "that lime be burned in order to restore portions" of the walls of Rome. The restoration of the walls planned by Sisinnius was carried out by Pope Gregory II. The book True Christianity: The Catholic Way credits him with defending the Church against the Lombards and Saracens.
- "Pope Sisinnius". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Joseph S. Brusher, Popes through the Ages, (Neff-Kane, 1980), 174.
- "Pope Sisinnius" in the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia.
- Jeffrey Richards. 1979. The popes and the papacy in the early Middle Ages, 476–752. p. 245.
- Ekonomou, 2007, p. 246.
- Ekonomou, 2007, p. 248.
- Charles Isidore Hemans. 1874. Historic and monumental Rome. p. 100.
- Pasquini, John J. True Christianity: The Catholic Way. iUniverse. p. 418.
- *Williams, George L. 2004. Papal Genealogy: The Families and Descendants of the Popes. McFarland. ISBN 0-7864-2071-5. p. 10.
- Ekonomou, Andrew J. 2007. Byzantine Rome and the Greek Popes: Eastern influences on Rome and the papacy from Gregory the Great to Zacharias, A.D. 590–752. Lexington Books.
|Catholic Church titles|
Read in another language
This page is available in 50 languages
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Basa Jawa
- Norsk bokmål
- Српски / srpski
- Srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски
- Tiếng Việt